Highlighted

Displacement maps not working

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm trying to create displacement maps to turn faces into rock/stone/fabric etc and it's just not working.

I've duplicated the model's face as a new file,put it in grayscale mode at 8 bit, upped the contrast, applied a slight gaussian blur then saved it as a PSD file. Then I've put another layer on top of the colour original image (I've tried different textures and also type), gone to Filter-Distort-Displace and selected the model's displacment map file. I've chose 10 and 10 for horizontal and vertical, stretch to fit, repeat edge pixels (have also tried it with wrap around). Nothing has worked 😞

What am I doing wrong? I've attached the files that I'm working with (I've tried text like I said also).

Please help.

Thanks,

Kirsty

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Displacement maps not working

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm trying to create displacement maps to turn faces into rock/stone/fabric etc and it's just not working.

I've duplicated the model's face as a new file,put it in grayscale mode at 8 bit, upped the contrast, applied a slight gaussian blur then saved it as a PSD file. Then I've put another layer on top of the colour original image (I've tried different textures and also type), gone to Filter-Distort-Displace and selected the model's displacment map file. I've chose 10 and 10 for horizontal and vertical, stretch to fit, repeat edge pixels (have also tried it with wrap around). Nothing has worked 😞

What am I doing wrong? I've attached the files that I'm working with (I've tried text like I said also).

Please help.

Thanks,

Kirsty

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following this tutorial you could get someting like this:

https://www.discoverdigitalphotography.com/2012/photoshop-tutorial-how-to-apply-a-texture-to-a-face-...

tex4.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you for this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using. Texture to be displaced, unless there are some distinctive features to be displaced, you often won't see any difference. Many times, you need to place the file that you used as the displacement map above the displaced layer and set he blend mode to overlay or soft light, to add some lighting differemce.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for your advice here - I will give this a go 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0