Highlighted

Dissapearing layer groups

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey fellow Photoshoppers,

I encountered this weird bug today (or maybe it's a feature, can't tell for sure with Adobe nowadays...): Grouped layers will disappear in the viewport, when I try to select and move the whole group.

I recorded a screencapture to illustrate what I mean:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v84zubwjo62idw/20200907_135906.psd.mp4?dl=0

Continuing to move the layer-group in its dissapeared state will cause other display issues: parts of it show up when overlapping other layers, for example. When I change the zoom levels, the grouped layers will sometimes show up, but not always. Often they disappear again, when I change the zoom again.

Already tried disabling hardware acceleration via the graphics card, restarting the PC didn't solve the problem either. I am running the latest win 10 pro (19041.450) and Photoshop also is the latest version (21.2.2). Also updated the Nvidia driver to the latest version (452.06).

I used photoshop since version 5.0 in the olden days and Adobe built up a lot of goodwill on my end over the years. I even was a fan of the creative cloud stuff and payment model in the beginning. But over last 2-3 years I am getting really frustrated with them. No "proper" pen tablet support in Win10 (apart from the horrible windows ink), frequent updates that break fundamental design priniciples that have been established for years and now absolutely basic functionality breaks over night. As soon as there is any viable competition with decent interconnectivity, I am so done with Adobe. 

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get this out of my system.

Any of you experienced the something like this? Any ideas how to fix this bullsh*t?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by r-bin | Adobe Community Professional
You still need to check how the "Lagacy Compositing" checkbox affects this.

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dissapearing layer groups

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey fellow Photoshoppers,

I encountered this weird bug today (or maybe it's a feature, can't tell for sure with Adobe nowadays...): Grouped layers will disappear in the viewport, when I try to select and move the whole group.

I recorded a screencapture to illustrate what I mean:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v84zubwjo62idw/20200907_135906.psd.mp4?dl=0

Continuing to move the layer-group in its dissapeared state will cause other display issues: parts of it show up when overlapping other layers, for example. When I change the zoom levels, the grouped layers will sometimes show up, but not always. Often they disappear again, when I change the zoom again.

Already tried disabling hardware acceleration via the graphics card, restarting the PC didn't solve the problem either. I am running the latest win 10 pro (19041.450) and Photoshop also is the latest version (21.2.2). Also updated the Nvidia driver to the latest version (452.06).

I used photoshop since version 5.0 in the olden days and Adobe built up a lot of goodwill on my end over the years. I even was a fan of the creative cloud stuff and payment model in the beginning. But over last 2-3 years I am getting really frustrated with them. No "proper" pen tablet support in Win10 (apart from the horrible windows ink), frequent updates that break fundamental design priniciples that have been established for years and now absolutely basic functionality breaks over night. As soon as there is any viable competition with decent interconnectivity, I am so done with Adobe. 

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get this out of my system.

Any of you experienced the something like this? Any ideas how to fix this bullsh*t?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by r-bin | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video shows your using the move tool with its auto select option set to group. There is no layer palette visible for us to see your documents layer and groups structure. We have idea where layer have content over the canvas. There is no audio  detailing when you click  to target what layer you are moving or if the layer may be linked with other layers. For all I know you may be seeing correct operation. I see current layer change several times.  Un-check the move tool option to auto select and see if you have problems when you manually target layers. You may be changing target when its not you intention to change target.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply - I agree its difficult to understand what I am trying to show in the video, and thus it's easy to misunderstand the problem.I will try again and more to the point:

I duplicated the file and boiled all layers down to the minimum, so it hopefully will be easier to grasp:

If I select a layer group, it dissapears from the viewport, when I move it, regardless if "auto select" is enabled or disabled. It also makes no difference if I select the layer group in the workspace or in the layers pallete. Also, the content of the layer groups does not matter. Moving a sinlge layer within the group does not cause any issues.

I captured another video, unfortunately I won't be able to provide any sounds when I click, but I hope this new video will make it easier to understand:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnkweg3lrqb0kp3/testfile.mp4?dl=0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of photoshop?
21.2.2 often does not detect a video card, although it allows the "Use GPU" checkbox to be enabled.
If the video card is not identified or if the GPU is disabled,
Photoshop is VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111
bad at redrawing the screen.

It looks like yours (and my) case. I just don't use this version for work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your sugesstion- but unfortunatley that's not the issue. I thought of that, too. But my graphics card is recognized correctly. Nonetheless I tried disabling the "use GPU" feature before I even posted here (mentioned it briefly in my original post), but it does not change anything. 😕

Regarding not using the 21.2.2 for work: Yeah, I guess that's the only solution, atm. But I am really disappointed with Adobe that the only solution for many issues in the latest version seems to be "well, don't use it, then".

What a fall from grace, Adobe. *smh*

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, disabling "legacy compositing" seems to have fixed it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0