Highlighted

Distribute layers evenly across canvas (or edge to edge) quickly OR automate image file merging

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned how to load files into stacks and I want to find other methods to shorten the time I spend doing mundane things; in this case, creating a "collage" of separate small images into one image that is just each component image next to eachother alphanumerically, as shown in the attachment.

However, I can't figure out how to use the distribute controls to distribute all the layers across the entire canvas, so that each layer's right border is touching the left border of the layer below. I can't even get the layers to distribute across the canvas whatsoever - seemingly none of the Distribute buttons do anything, regardless of whether I have the whole canvas, just the layers, or nothing in the selection.

I can manually select and drag each layer where I want it to go, and in this case I can turn on snapping so its easier, but with bigger examples that can be a pain so I'd like to just be able to select all layers and hit a button to have Photoshop do the rest.

All of my six layers (shown in the attachment) are the same dimensions and rectangular (160x200). I extended the canvas size to 960x200 to accomodate what I intend to do. I also realize there may be even more efficient ways to cut down the 4-step process shown in the attachment, in which case I'd like to know about them too.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Distribute layers evenly across canvas (or edge to edge) quickly OR automate image file merging

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned how to load files into stacks and I want to find other methods to shorten the time I spend doing mundane things; in this case, creating a "collage" of separate small images into one image that is just each component image next to eachother alphanumerically, as shown in the attachment.

However, I can't figure out how to use the distribute controls to distribute all the layers across the entire canvas, so that each layer's right border is touching the left border of the layer below. I can't even get the layers to distribute across the canvas whatsoever - seemingly none of the Distribute buttons do anything, regardless of whether I have the whole canvas, just the layers, or nothing in the selection.

I can manually select and drag each layer where I want it to go, and in this case I can turn on snapping so its easier, but with bigger examples that can be a pain so I'd like to just be able to select all layers and hit a button to have Photoshop do the rest.

All of my six layers (shown in the attachment) are the same dimensions and rectangular (160x200). I extended the canvas size to 960x200 to accomodate what I intend to do. I also realize there may be even more efficient ways to cut down the 4-step process shown in the attachment, in which case I'd like to know about them too.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 12, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that script will help a lot! I think I can convert it for personal use to be exactly what I need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0