• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do i have to worry about any legal issues such as copyright

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a musical artist and i profit off of the music i make, am i able to use adobe photoshop for my music cover art freely without having to worry about any legal issues?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe software is the tool you use to create your work. Adobe does not own any part of it any more than Skilsaw owns the rights to your handmade furniture. I'll find the relevant part of the License Agreement for you.

https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms.html:

1.5 Ownership. You (as a Business or an individual, as applicable) retain all rights and ownership of your Content. We do not claim any ownership rights to your Content.

It's a good idea to read up on all the terms of the agreement and consult an attorney if you are not sure you understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're able to use Photoshop for the cost of the subscription.

Anything that you create with the software is yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to be clear, if you make it by taking someone elses art and changing that then yes its an issue... how big an issue depends on what country you live in + where the other art came from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a very good issue to point out.  Anything original that you create it yours.  If you use other work in whole or in part, you must do so based on the usage rights.

That said, just as if you wrote a book in Microsoft Word the copyright is yours, the same holds for if you create imagery with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my understanding of what you're implying is that, i in fact can create cover art for these albums going up on streaming platforms using the fonts and text styles of photoshop cc, as long as i am being original with the work and as long as the art that i am creating is my own. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fonts are their own can of worms ... for example

if I make art using default Windows fonts and upload it then you as a Apple Mac user don't have access to those fonts and Photoshop will need to convert the art before you can load it into any type of reader or editor... this is why we have web safe fonts

but yes from a stricky copyright point of view the only issue is if you use some "free" download website to grab | use a iffy font in your artwork then the hosting site you upload your finished work will pick up on that right away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i should use free or in other words royalty free fonts from the internet instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are two issues here:

a. Editing text in a Photoshop document 

b. End User License Agreements (EULA) for fonts

You can open a Photoshop file without fonts being installed on macOS, Windows or iOS and the type will display correctly; however, if you need to edit a type layer, that is when the font must be installed.  If you've saved to a graphics format for delivery like JPEG, PNG or TIFF (without layers), then your document will be merged and this is a non-issue.

Fortunately, Adobe Fonts (formerly TypeKit) are available with your Creative Cloud subscription.  You can still use fonts from other sources (Google Fonts is a good choice for no-cost fonts) that range from free to paid.  Depending on how you're using the font, you'll want to be aware of the EULA.  If using Adobe Fonts, the licensing information is available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/support/fonts.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...freely without having to worry about any legal issues?"

We are volunteers on this forum. For specific legal advice, it's best that you check with a lawyer.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines