Highlighted

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2019 if you work on a network

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using CC and work over a network DO NOT UPGRADE to 2019. This has ruined my main production machine and my server. After a week Photoshop started to freeze after hitting "save" with a file over a network volume. I started using 2018 again, which had been working flawlessly for all of 2018, and it worked for a day then started doing the same thing.

I use this software for a living, I do not have time to do Adobe's beta work for them.

THERE ARE NO RELEASE NOTES FOR 2019 -- SO DO NOT INSTALL UNLESS YOU WANT TO RUIN YOUR SYSTEM.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D_Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

Work locally, then copy to server. That has always been the recommendation, official and otherwise.

Working over a network has never been supported, because Adobe has no control over the various network configurations out there.

I use the software for a living too, and we also have a corporate network and server. I never lost a file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2019 if you work on a network

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using CC and work over a network DO NOT UPGRADE to 2019. This has ruined my main production machine and my server. After a week Photoshop started to freeze after hitting "save" with a file over a network volume. I started using 2018 again, which had been working flawlessly for all of 2018, and it worked for a day then started doing the same thing.

I use this software for a living, I do not have time to do Adobe's beta work for them.

THERE ARE NO RELEASE NOTES FOR 2019 -- SO DO NOT INSTALL UNLESS YOU WANT TO RUIN YOUR SYSTEM.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D_Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

Work locally, then copy to server. That has always been the recommendation, official and otherwise.

Working over a network has never been supported, because Adobe has no control over the various network configurations out there.

I use the software for a living too, and we also have a corporate network and server. I never lost a file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been hearing that same line for the 14 years I've been working with Photoshop over a server. I work on hundreds of images. Sometimes 200 in one day. My clients, who are in corporate environments, use Photoshop over MS servers with no problem as long as they wait for 6 months for Adobe to get things straight.

Every time there's a new release and a problem the line from Adobe is the same. I have a cable, a switch, another cable and a Mac server. There's no simpler network than that. And if I wait 6 months after release then it always works without a hitch.

My regret is that I forgot this time and updated right away. I should've known something was wrong when Acrobat started to crash when I had my other Adobe apps open. Then it started to crash without them open. All after I upgraded. If I can't even open a pdf over a network then something is terribly wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you’ve been having the same issue for 14 years, do you not think you’d have learnt your lesson by now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha That is the correct answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you even read what he said? That he DOES NOT have the issue as long as he waits 6 months to upgrade because Adobe is slow to sort their s**t out?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what is the point of a server? Stop being an apologist, Adobe has been around long enough to know better. What about someone like me? If I work offline like that I am violating company policy and it can be grounds for termination.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to work there, if they fire you for exercising common sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
davescm LATEST
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just common sense but the recommendation from the software developers. This help article explains some of the reasons for the advice and the potential pitfalls of working over a network.

Troubleshoot issues with networks, removable media in Photoshop

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the problem may or may not have been CC 2019. However it is definitely with Suitcase Fusion 20.0.0

I went back to an earlier backup of my system and got everything running fine. Then I went to upgrade Suitcase Fusion because I was getting errors because of left over conflicting extensis plugins so I upgraded from Fusion 19.1 to 20 again and suddenly PS 2018 froze up again on saving, just like before.

So now I've done a complete uninstall of Suitcase Fusion and PS 2018 is running fine again.

I'm not sure I want to keep using Fusion. I remember at least 10 or 15 years ago when Suitcase went awry and I switched to Master Juggler. Then something happened to that and I went back to Suitcase. But it does seem to cater more to PCs than Macs.

Anyone have any font management ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never even knew such a product existed, It’s not something I’d ever considered a problem and therefore never searched for a solution and I’ve got 100s of fonts to go through.

Is there anything particularly wrong with how Photoshop displays the list of fonts?

As you're deciding on the right font for the project, you need to see that font on the design anyway…

Honestly, for the price of the service, I’m really struggling to see its benefits.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old habits die hard. A font manager was necessary when fonts were Post Script Type 1 fonts and machines weren't as efficient. So having 100's of fonts running would be a noticeable drag. Now most new fonts are Open Type or True Type fonts which are simpler (no separate bit map file) and machines are faster so I just loaded the groups I need into Font Book and everything seems fine now. It's also been my impression that Extensis seemed to focus more on PC's than Macs which always made me a little wary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes sense regarding the PostScript fonts.

But, as you'd mentioned - Times are a-changing.

If it’s your own business and you’re into profits this seems like a product that’s a luxury but not a necessity, It won't directly make you money but would save you a little time (Maybe??) it's more a nice visual.

but if your boss is paying for it and it makes no end to you then yeah keep doing it.

Photoshop even lets you filter Typekit fonts and favourited fonts which I use daily.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines