• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Photoshop Camera Raw have option to Save As and overwrite edited images?

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm  a sport photographer, I'm shooting 3-4 times a week. Every time I shoot I have to pick 50-60 images and copy them to my selected folder. After that I need to edit them in Photoshop Camera Raw. Currently after I'm done editing I click "Save Images.." button in the bottom left corner and then I don't see how can I save AND OVERWRITE my edited images in the same folder. Right now Photoshop Camera Raw create a copies and ads _1 to the name of each file!? Am I missing something? Please help.

I work on PC, Win 8.1 64bit, latest Photoshop CC 2017.0.1, Camera Raw 9.8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Camera Raw is a parametric editor. This means no pixels are ever altered, all adjustments are stored as text instructions somewhere. It can be stored in the file header, a sidecar file, or a central database.

ACR is primarily designed for raw files, but it will treat jpegs the same way.

Pixels are altered only when the file is exported from ACR, and an export is always a copy. The original is never touched. You can either export directly to Photoshop, which is the "open" button, or to a separate f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to use Save Image button if you want to continue editing. You can click Done button on the right side and your edits will be saved while preserving original image and saving current settings. Once you are done with edits use Save Image to export the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I was clear... first of all I shoot jpgs. I want to open few jpgs in Camera Raw, make some small adjustment and then save them in the same folder with the same name. That's all.

Like I mentioned before, I can't do it in Camera Raw, even if I select same folder and choose same file name.

Photoshop Camera Raw not overwriting the images, but adds new copy with new name (see the screenshots below).

If I click Done, and open images in any other software, like Photo Mechanic or windows Photo Gallery, I can't see my Camera Raw edits.

test1.JPG

test2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand what you are asking....they answered your question and the answer is no.  They don't get it.  I would love for Camera RAW to have an option to either Save and Replace original or Save As New File.  I would do exactly what you want to do and that is to SAVE and Replace the original.

It is terrible for workflow.  They don't understand how photographers work.  Like you said, we are pulling in images for a quick edit and need to save.  We are on deadline.  We don't care if they replace the original.  In most cases, we are ingesting the entire take of images from the card later and the images we are editing are going to get deleted later.  Because of this, I very rarely use Photoshop or Camera RAW for editing in the field.  Don't get me started on Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get it, but there's just no way to ever overwrite a raw file. AFAIK no raw processors ever made will do this.

Shoot jpeg and there's a thousand ways to overwrite the jpegs all you want. It really is as simple as that.

I do understand how photographers work, I happen to be one myself. I even have the odd deadline to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera Raw save options for multiple files should at least have an option for overwriting JPGs. Maybe an advanced button under preference for users with special needs, with an at your own risk warning. Adobe underestimate users. I want to choose myself and take the full responsibility. I am using low-res proxy JPG sequences in Premiere from camera raw DNG/CR2 video stills that I want to replace with adjusted high-res JPGs. It seems like a simple task to just remove the images first before you do a new export. But when you are dealing with hundreds of thousand of files for each project in an multiple folder system you really miss that little "Overwrite" checkbox. I ended up using IrfanView instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do this in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is slow. Try saving images in ACR, and you'll see the speed difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to log in and give a like for what you are saying. It's damn true!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw is a parametric editor. This means no pixels are ever altered, all adjustments are stored as text instructions somewhere. It can be stored in the file header, a sidecar file, or a central database.

ACR is primarily designed for raw files, but it will treat jpegs the same way.

Pixels are altered only when the file is exported from ACR, and an export is always a copy. The original is never touched. You can either export directly to Photoshop, which is the "open" button, or to a separate file on disk. In this case you set the file properties in the "save" dialog in ACR. But it's still a copy.

If you want to overwrite your original (which I certainly would never recommend BTW, especially not for jpegs that deteriorate with every new save), you have to do it from Photoshop, whch is not a parametric editor but a straight pixel editor.

ACR can be used as a filter in Photoshop (under the filter menu). This should solve your immediate issue. Then you use the ACR controls, but save out from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why wont my camera raw edits  save when I click done.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines