• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does re-saving JPG changing DPI value (no re-samp) get worse the image quality? Re-compressing JPG?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, newbie here.
I saved a JPG in Photoshop (quality 12 from an original PSD). It's 1200 DPI 5000x3000 px, without copyright infos saved.
Later I decide I want to add copyright infos but I haven't more the original PSD, so I open again my JPG in Photoshop, add the copyright, and save.
Later again, I decide I want to change the DPI value without resampling, so I re-open my JPG, set 266 DPI in Image Size maintaining 5000x3000 px, and save.

Question: since I re-saved my JPG twice, does it mean that I re-compressed my JPG twice as well? Does it mean the quality of the original JPG is now worsened?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

The JPEG format is lossy. It will degrade and lose information each time it is opened, edited, and saved again. The best practice is to keep the original, make the edits there, and export a jpeg once.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»since I re-saved my JPG twice, does it mean that I re-compressed my JPG twice as well?«

Yes.

»Does it mean the quality of the original JPG is now worsened?«

Yes. 

You damaged your image unnecessarily. 

Even in a case where file corruption or other data loss removed the original uncompressed image it seems imprudent to not keep an uncompressed version after the first editing of a jpg-damaged image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply wasn't there when I started typing, @c.pfaffenbichler, but appeared when I posted ! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the same thing happened to me with one of your replies recently and with others’ replies, too, over time. 

The important thing is: We did not offer conflicting information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree ! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JPEG format is lossy. It will degrade and lose information each time it is opened, edited, and saved again. The best practice is to keep the original, make the edits there, and export a jpeg once.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why keeping a PSD for every JPEG, every single one, is wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can add/edit metadata such as copyright info without having to open/decompress the file using Adobe Bridge (scripts in Photoshop can also do the same).

I am not aware of a way to change the resolution metadata in Adobe software without opening/decompressing. This is possible using 3rd party ExifTool software though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines