• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't see Lighting effects filter in PS CS5

Explorer ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed CS5, and, although the Lighting effects filter seems to be in the plug in folders, it doesn't show up in the menus. I've removed PS and reinstalled, but still no go.

I have this: "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Filters/Lighting Effects.plugin" and a Lighting Styles folder in the same path.

PS 12.0 x64,

Mac OS 10.6.3

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo

Any ideas what to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope your cardiac situation is not as bad as all that.

And anyway, the Adobe Labs are, it seems, able to fly under the radar

occasionally and provide stuff like Configurator, which I consider

quite a beneficial feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe labs probably avoids the problem because it falls under R&D and doesn't generate any real $$.

But this whole thing is sounding way more complicated than it is. FASB is not a government organization and revenue recognition is just a fancy way of determining what's left in your wallet at the end of the month. The bottom line is that customers generate the bottom line not investors.

I'm not an accounting whiz by any stretch of the imagination but I would guess that this FASB hocus pocus is about the contract that is established with the customer at the beginning of the product cycle. And I can't imagine that updating the Mac to fully 64bit would contradict this?  Or is the Mac version CS4.9 and the PC version is 5.0? This seems to be more about choice than law.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think it's about choice, I welcome you to take it up with the CFO of our company (and all the other affected corporations).

We want to do more, but we can't because of the revenue recognition rules set by FASB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>If you think it's about choice, I welcome you to take it up with the CFO of our company (and all the other affected corporations).

well, I didn't say it was your choice : ) 

>We want to do more, but we can't because of the revenue recognition rules set by FASB.

FASB seems to be bent on establishing a consistent point to book revenue based upon a vendor customer contract?

The example that I like is an airplane ticket, you purchase the ticket, the revenue is booked but the work has not been delivered. So, it seems that work does not necessarily have to be completed when you stick the DVD in the box. Consider all of the following up work, fixing bugs, customer support etc. this is just written into the customer contract, and I would doubt that your contract is the same as Microsoft, or even your new best friend Apple. Adobe writes the contract..... and therefore choice.

The original question in this discussion is circling around some features ( 64bit plugins ) that exist in the PC version but not the Mac and were excluded because it was too much work to complete by the time the product was deemed ready to ship. That was a choice.

Or, just give away new features in a similar fashion as Adobe Labs, or call it beta. That would be a choice.

( btw how do software companies hire beta testers but don't pay them? even interns can no longer be hired for free )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm late to this 'party', but I've recently upgraded to CS5 and went to use the Lighting Effect and was bewildered it wasn't there...then I came across this thread and thought "WHAT?!  This won't be fixed until the next version release (which is my own conclusion from the posts by Chris)".  Here's the deal, they were available in the LAST release and now they're gone...how can that not be addressed in an 'update' for free?  Or as one post put it, at least release a 'beta' version of the missing plug-ins/filters until then for our sake, the users.

BTW, no offense is targeted at you personally, Chris .

Overall, really liking CS5.  But hey, it'd be a perfect world if I didn't throw a complaint! Again......

Thanks!

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lighting Effects" is a tool I have come to rely on periodically in PS. 

And I am appalled that Adobe is hiding behind this obviously bogus rationale, which conveniently limits their responsibility to deliver a fully functioning product.

Perhaps if the Windows version of CS5 had also shipped without the feature, that might have opened the argument that Lighting Effects was outmoded.  But alas, that is not the case. 

No, Adobe chose to withhold this feature in the Mac version to hit a self-imposed deadline / budget.  And rather than integritously complete the job at some expense to the company and issue it as a delinquent - free - update, they are feigning a rather weak "hands-tied" rationale.

"We can't add functionality after we ship without charging more for it (at least not without changing half our corporate accounting and scaring investors, or running afoul of accounting standards, auditors, regulators, etc.). "

With all due respect Chris - Adobe already charged for it. You charged all these Mac users the same price as the Windows users who have this functionality - so either way you slice it, you unfairly charged the Mac users for functionality that you chose not to deliver.

No challenge Adobe may have faced behind the scenes - either internal accounting effort, or technical rigor - can rationalize this fact away.  Adobe's budget and / or timeframe were not adequate to complete the product, and the company chose profit of X over X minus the work to do the job right. 

So the customers have every reason to expect Adobe to cough up an update - free of additional charges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its ridiculous to pay what we pay for this software and you just "take out" something that obviously a lot of people use!!  There is NO EXCUSE for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use Lighting Effects if you run Photoshop in 32bit mode.

Here are instructions on how to run Photoshop in 32bit mode. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82824.html#main__How_to_run_Photoshop_CS5_in_32_bit_and_64_bit_mo...

Lighting Effects is an aging plug-in that did not make the transition to 64bit. We plan to replace it with newer, better technology in the future - similar to how we stopped development on the Extract filter in Photoshop CS4 in order to focus on replacing it with the newer, non-destructive Refine Edge technology in Photoshop CS5.

It was one of those tough decisions. Not ideal for everyone in the short term, but I'm hopeful that people will see greater benefit in the long-run.

While I'm commenting, one other workaround I've heard people use is to keep CS4 around and launch it side by side (at least on the mac) so they don't need to tinker with the 32bit mode switch and keep CS5 running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, no I can't. It worked before, but it is still checked to open in 32 bit and L.Effects is grayed out. So... I have no clue why it won't do it now. You?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I tried it in my version of CS4 too and same thing. No option to open in 32 bit - and no Lighting effects.

Which surprised me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any chance your image is in CMYK color mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff, you totally rock, I'm so embarassed. I thought to check that and just went to my color and it was in RGB, but the file IS in CMYK. I was on the right track but didn't check correctly - and you just made me check it again -- thank you so much! I couldn't imagine why it worked before and not now. THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't have Artistic, Brush Strokes, Texture, Sketch, Video, Lens Correction, Filter Gallery or Vanishing Point... all greyed out.... I guess I should be happy I have gaussian blur because I'm gonna need to use it to do all these things, I guess.  lol.  (not really funny)

Probably because I AM opening in 32 bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines