• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downgrade OSX to make Photoshop Work?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I use a Mac 2017, OSX Catalina 10.15.4, I have Photoshop CS6 and know I can no longer use it with my current 64-bit system. I am thinking about downgrading my OSX to work my version Photoshop since I mainly use desktop computer for work. What was the last version of Mac OSX that was compatible with CS6? 

Has anyone done this, and is it advisable? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cs6 seems to work fairly well here on macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

You probably don't want to go back to anything older than High Sierra or you won't get the latest security updates for macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I’ve been told by many adobe help people that CS6 is not compatible with the Mojave OSX, because Mac changed Thierry system over to a 64 bit and photoshop CS6 was built to work with only 32 bit systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html

Photoshop CS4 was the last 32 bit only version but that still ran OK on Mojave. Photoshop has had a 64 bit version available since CS5. CS6 works fine on Mojave. It will not run on Catalina since, although it's 64 bit, it includes some 32 bit components which will never be updated to 64 bit.

CC2019 and the current version 2020 are the only versions supported by Adobe on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Catalina 10.15 is the one that only runs 64 bit applications.

Mojave still runs 32 bit applications.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

In addition, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 was the last mac os that supported 32 bit processors, so every recent mac os has been 64 bit, but still retained the ability to run 32 bit applications, that is until macOS Catalina and even though photoshop cs6 itself is a 64 bit application, it includes some 32 bit help apps like the updater, so that's why cs6 won't work very well or at all on macOS Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha! So best solution to keep using CS6 is probably to downgrade to Mojave or High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't downgrade your Mac... Apple advises against it - can cause serious problems. I think it's time to upgrade to the Photography plan... I had buy a new wacom tablet when I upgraded to Catalina - more than v3x the price of a one year subcription for PS...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new photoshop on Catalina is terrible . It runs so slow it adds hours to my work time. Things ran faster with older systems that's why I wanna downgrade 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you considered upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines