Highlighted

Downgrade?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I can't see older version of photoshop on the list after updating to newest version. I need to downgrade as it's killing my mac and I just can't work! 

many thanks

J

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Conrad C | Adobe Community Professional

OK J, you have a lot going on here, let’s pick ’em off one by one:

Your screen shot of the Creative Cloud Desktop App installer does show that Photoshop 2020 is available to you. Photoshop 2020 is version v21.2.4 shown in the screen shot, and Photoshop 2021 is v22. The version numbers don’t match up with the years because Photoshop 1.0 was released in 1990; the reason the year and version number are close enough to be confusing is that they didn’t exactly match up in 2014, when Adobe started attaching the Creative Cloud release year to the application name. Should Adobe label that screen more clearly? Yes, they should…

Adobe Creative Suite 6 cannot be installed on macOS 10.15 Catalina. The CS6 applications have too many components that don’t meet the more stringent Apple requirements in macOS 10.15 Catalina. One problem is that some components or applications are not 64-bit code.

If Photoshop 2021 (v22) is slowing down to the point where you can’t get your work done, there is nothing about your screen shots to indicate that RAM is the problem. RAM management is complex. Most importantly, a readout of low free RAM means almost nothing because of the way macOS constantly moves data between real RAM, compressed RAM, and VM. The best way to evaluate RAM is looking at Memory Pressure in Activity Monitor, because it is a more holistic number accounting for how well the entire memory system is doing. If Activity Monitor says Memory Pressure is green, RAM is not a problem. Orange would be a concern, red would be a real problem.

Because the free RAM amount is not useful and Memory Pressure is very useful, I no longer use system monitor utilities that can't tell me Memory Pressure. (I use iStat Menus, which does.)

That still leaves the question of why Photoshop 2021 is giving you problems. If you install Photoshop 2020 (v21) and the problem goes away, then there is a real problem with 2021. You might take a look through the Photoshop Feedback website where bug reports can be submitted, tallied, and discussed publicly, in case there is an existing bug report you can add info to. This forum is just a general user discussion forum, while the Photoshop Feedback site is more focused on tracking and taking votes on bug reports and feature requests, and Adobe staff actually join the comments for some reports to get more info or announce fixes.

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Downgrade?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I can't see older version of photoshop on the list after updating to newest version. I need to downgrade as it's killing my mac and I just can't work! 

many thanks

J

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Conrad C | Adobe Community Professional

Your screen shot of the Creative Cloud Desktop App installer does show that Photoshop 2020 is available to you. Photoshop 2020 is version v21.2.4 shown in the screen shot, and Photoshop 2021 is v22. The version numbers don’t match up with the years because Photoshop 1.0 was released in 1990; the reason the year and version number are close enough to be confusing is that they didn’t exactly match up in 2014, when Adobe started attaching the Creative Cloud release year to the application name. Should Adobe label that screen more clearly? Yes, they should…

Adobe Creative Suite 6 cannot be installed on macOS 10.15 Catalina. The CS6 applications have too many components that don’t meet the more stringent Apple requirements in macOS 10.15 Catalina. One problem is that some components or applications are not 64-bit code.

If Photoshop 2021 (v22) is slowing down to the point where you can’t get your work done, there is nothing about your screen shots to indicate that RAM is the problem. RAM management is complex. Most importantly, a readout of low free RAM means almost nothing because of the way macOS constantly moves data between real RAM, compressed RAM, and VM. The best way to evaluate RAM is looking at Memory Pressure in Activity Monitor, because it is a more holistic number accounting for how well the entire memory system is doing. If Activity Monitor says Memory Pressure is green, RAM is not a problem. Orange would be a concern, red would be a real problem.

Because the free RAM amount is not useful and Memory Pressure is very useful, I no longer use system monitor utilities that can't tell me Memory Pressure. (I use iStat Menus, which does.)

That still leaves the question of why Photoshop 2021 is giving you problems. If you install Photoshop 2020 (v21) and the problem goes away, then there is a real problem with 2021. You might take a look through the Photoshop Feedback website where bug reports can be submitted, tallied, and discussed publicly, in case there is an existing bug report you can add info to. This forum is just a general user discussion forum, while the Photoshop Feedback site is more focused on tracking and taking votes on bug reports and feature requests, and Adobe staff actually join the comments for some reports to get more info or announce fixes.

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried earlier but there is no older versions....I really need CC2019, there is a big problem with RAM, Photoshop is draining my RAM like crazy! Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 00.49.59.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a policy where the current and previous major versions can be installed from the Creative Cloud app; they mention that here (Install Previous Versions of Your Creative Cloud Apps). CC 2019 is too far back, so it isn't going to be available. You might be able to find an installer for CC 2019 at prodesigntools.com.

Also, what number is showing you that Photoshop is “draining” your RAM? It shouldn’t be doing it. I only have 16GB RAM in my Mac and I run several Adobe applications at once including Photoshop. If there is a real performance issue with Photoshop, we might be able to help figure out what it actually is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Conrad, 

ok how can I install Photoshop cc2020? I dont have it on my list as per screesnhot sent earlier.

I have 40GB in total on my iMac, I work with heavy files every day (I am photographer) before updating no isuues at all! I could open few tabs/files  in Photoshop with layered images (up to 10 layers in one file) each raw file around 60-60MB, everything worekd perfectpy every day. After updating Photoshop and Lightroom

Screesnhot 15.52GB available (Only Lightroom is open, Photoshop closed)

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 16.50.51.png

And now Photoshop 2021 open without any files. 

available 13.38GB

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 16.57.38.png

Now two tabs with three files edited as layered files in PS2021, each file around 70MB, so 6x70MB in total, trying to open one more files with loaded 3photos (RAW) and PS2021 is stuck...nothing! it wont even load third file 

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 17.04.37.png

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 17.02.44.png

Summary, I have now 3 tabs in PS2021 opened,2 tabs with loaded 3 RAW files.... and 3rd tab with only two files , it now wont open any more tabs or load RAW  files selected earlier in Lightroom. Before update to PS2021 I could open easily 10 tabs each one with 3 or more RAW files in it (open as layers in photoshop>>>> from lightroom)

I was able to easily open file with 10-15 layered RAw files - now it's impossible

And finally, PS2021 is closed now, it wont free up RAM in 100% still available 3.45GB

Is there any optiont install  PS2020  and how? as I dont have it on my list with 'other versions)

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 17.11.19.png

Thank you very much for all your help!

J

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have CS6 Master Collection, but can't install it on Catalina!, any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, 

thank you so much! I was able to Install PS CC2019 (20.0.1) and Lightroom 9.0 from prodesigntools.com, everything is working as before, smoothly and perfectly;)) no lags or problems while opening multiple files as layered file.

There is serious problem with PS v21.2.4  and v22 in my opinion. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0