• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DPI different and PIXEL remain the same, will export to Web has different?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remain the output size small is really significant for my job but we have two different dpi files which require to merge into one in some occasions. I try to convince my team using higher dpi to save out but they worried about will upsize the file. For example, we need to make sure the final outcome file no more 200MB, adn we have embedded more than 1000 small png files into one After EFFECT or INDESIGN so even 1M for 500KB different per each file is huge for us.

I tried to save out same pixel H and W for document size with different dpi. Look same for me.

What's the other thing I should aware of? Anyone knows the difference?
I know higher DPI more for PRINT matter but we found out higher dpi display the complicated text nicer than 72 dpi in some situation. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see your point. DPI is meta information that merely tells a program how to interpret pixels in relation to physical dimensions. You need to educate yourself about such basic stuff. For video processing it doesn't even matter - all that After Effects cares for is absolute pixels. Similarly, file size is determined by the actual data stored, not its interpretation. A million pixels at 72 DPI is the same as a million pixels at 200 DPI. You have several gaps in your knowledge and misunderstandings here.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may ask the question make you guys confuse, I from PRINT background I know what DPI means.

But other tech team give me another answer which I am not very understanding the intention or I should say the end result will be different. I read forum and pretty much same answer higher dpi for printing and if the pixel size stay the same. it shouldn't affect the end result.

But I also read some article the case only happen when upsize/enlarge the image if you have better DPI.

Thanks for your reminder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand.

The file is just pixels. Ppi comes later, it is not a property of the file.

Read it literally: pixels per inch. It means exactly what it says. So many image pixels to so many inches of paper. It's a measure of pixel density, and this determines print size.

On screen ppi doesn't apply. It's redundant, because the pixel density is already given by the screen pixel grid. The image pixels just align to that.

On paper there is no such pixel grid, so one has to be invented. That's ppi, pixels per inch.

---

All that said, you can also use the ppi number as a guide to resampling the file to a different pixel size. This is a different story, and something you should not do unless absolutely necessary. In that case you are actually changing the data into something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"we found out higher dpi display the complicated text nicer than 72 dpi in some situation. "

Can you post some examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the OP has resampled in this case, and then added text. I edited my post to include a warning about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is post production team feedback. I can't show the work due to company policy.

But what he is saying is some of the BLACK stroke is clearer when using higher dpi. For example 

if you only have 300 x 300 size and you need to fit 10 words in it. LCD display better in 150 dpi then 72 dpi.

For my understanding it shouldn't be a case, and I think 72 dpi should be work across all on screen stuffs.

but they recultant to change the dpi setting back to 72. Thats why I want to know any difference between that actually?

or their legacy myth doesn't want to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I try to convince my team using higher dpi " ppi (the more fashionable name for dpi) is ignored when exporting for the web. It affects ONLY print output.

The size in pixels is what matters for the web. In print output the EFFECTIVE ppi is what matters, which is not based on the ppi in the file. Be sure you know what effective ppi is, that is the important thing, not a "magic number" in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

is that what you say, it shouldn't be a matter to any LCD display. On screen ppi should perform the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines