Dragging Not Working (Snapping to weird locations)

New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a week ago, my photoshop started to do weird things when I try to drag things. It doesn't matter whether I'm dragging the entire layer or just a selection, it snaps back to either its original location or to some other random location, and it takes several attempts to make it do what I want (sometimes I can be dragging the same piece into place for 5-10 minutes, and sometimes I give up and just move it pixel by pixel with the arrow keys).

I'm using Photoshop CS6 on a Surfacebook, a Razer Naga mouse and a Wacom Cintiq 13HD graphics tablet - in case that information is useful to anyone.

2018-05-29 20-13-10.mp4 - Google Drive

2018-05-29 23-51-08.mp4 - Google Drive

These two videos showcase the issues I'm having.

Anyway, I double checked snapping and I definitely don't have snapping turned on. I triple checked all my settings and they're all the same as they've always been. It doesn't matter if I'm using my mouse, my tablet, or my trackpad - it all has the same issue.

Anyway, after a billion attempts, sometimes the drag does work - but it seems completely random as to whether or not it wants to do this. Sometimes, if I hit ALT after I've started moving the piece, it stays in place - but even that doesn't work all the time.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting all Photoshop tool and your user ID Photoshop preferences to see if Photoshop will work like it use to? Correctly!

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had similar experience with a Cintiq Companion 2, and even sometimes with my desktop if I have Lazy Nezumi Pro turned on.  Actually, the LNP effect is more a sort of random moving around the screen, and not going where I want, rather than snapping to the wrong point.

Snapping back to the original location can happen when you try to drag beyond the image boundaries.

JJ uses a Surface Book (I think) and would have said if he'd had similar experience.  So I echo his advice to reset Preferences.  With CS6 that means the old method of holding down Shift Ctrl Alt _Immediately_ after starting Photoshop.  If you don't see a dialog window inviting you to reset, then you were not fast enough with the Shift Ctrl Alt.

If you are still in trouble after resetting preferences, I'd be looking at pointer drivers.  Does the SBP use a mouse and/or a stylus?  Is the errant behavior present with both devices?

Please let us know if you fix your issue.  It will help other people going forward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reset the preferences and it worked just fine last night. I opened it up today and added my grid back in (the only change I made after resetting my preferences), and it worked perfectly for 2 moves, and then started acting up again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MaxMorgan  wrote

So I reset the preferences and it worked just fine last night. I opened it up today and added my grid back in (the only change I made after resetting my preferences), and it worked perfectly for 2 moves, and then started acting up again!

Did you do anything in Photoshop between move 2 and move 3 that did not work.  What changed between move 2 and move 3.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied an image from a separate file and pasted it into my main file and moved it - that was fine. I pasted again - that was fine. I pasted a third one and suddenly I had the issue once more.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea as to where your problem is what corrupts your Photoshop install operation. Post your Photoshop menu Help>system  info

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth noting if I use the transform tool while I move things, it gives me no issues, but it's a bit of pain to use the transform tool to move every single thing when I'm constructing images of lots of teeny pieces.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Max,

I am having the EXACT same issue. I just started a new job this month and have been having this snapping issue since the first day I logged into my PC. Here are some of the details

Windows 10 pro (PC)

Wacom Cintiq 22HDT - latest drivers (and tested previous drivers too)

Photoshop CS6

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - latest drivers

I have had IT and other co-workers help me troubleshoot this problem since it slows down my work-flow a lot! Unfortunately we have not found any solutions that have worked. We have...

*reset all PS preferences & files

*uninstalled and reinstalled PS

*uninstalled all wacom, and graphics, drivers (older and newer)

*played with, and turned off all windows Ink (pen) settings

*used other inputs like a mouse, and other displays

The only thing we found interesting is that if you have a second monitor hooked up and drag Photoshop to that monitor and use the move tool in PS there... it works fine without any snapping. Once you move it back to the Cintiq...the problems are all back.

There is some sort of problem happening on the Cintiq in conjunction with some other factor, whether its PS or Windows. We have exhausted our ideas on this problem and have made no head-way. Any other ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY welcomed!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey late reply - but a fix i found for anyone who finds this thread. I had this issue with 3 monitors at work, and the issue was in the display settings of Windows 10. All the screens need to be at the same ratio i.e 100% or 125% which includes your tablet if its a Cintiq

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
lun_chok LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the key is in the ratio across screen. Thanks for your solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines