Highlighted

Drawing a shape through a layer, without the new shape being affected by the layer's adjustments?

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've drawn a square on my background. 

The square is then edited to be more transparent, embossed etc.

When I then make a new layer, and try to draw a new shape through that square, the transparency, embossing etc etc is added to my new shape.

Screenshot attached. I want the arrow to be clear and unaffected by the squares settings. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Drawing a shape through a layer, without the new shape being affected by the layer's adjustments?

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've drawn a square on my background. 

The square is then edited to be more transparent, embossed etc.

When I then make a new layer, and try to draw a new shape through that square, the transparency, embossing etc etc is added to my new shape.

Screenshot attached. I want the arrow to be clear and unaffected by the squares settings. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways, here are but two:

Use a selection of an arrow as a layer mask and in the Blending Options set Layer Mask Hides Effects

arr1.jpg

arr2.png

Put a arrow shape layer on top and in the Blending Options set the Fill Opacity to 0 (zero) and Knockout to Shallow

arr3.jpgarr4.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 0