Highlighted

Dropping Exposure in Lightroom looks bad when I bring it back up in Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo of a backlight hillside at dusk that I'm trying to edit as follows:

1) Bring down the exposure in Lightroom Classic to bring more color into the sky

2) Import the image into Photoshop (right click + edit in Photoshop)

3) Use magnetic lasso to select the hillside to create an exposure edit layer and bring the exposure of the hillside back up slightly

When I go to do step 3, it looks as if the data for the image of the hillside has been compressed/corrupted on the move from Lightroom to Photoshop. When I bring the exposure back up the hillside is horribly pixelated with weird colors where it looked fine in the RAW image I start with in Lightroom. What am I missing here? 

Here's a section of...

...the raw imported Lightroom image:

Zack5CA7_0-1604548188091.png

...the Lightroom image with exposure brought down:

Zack5CA7_1-1604548253193.png

...the Photoshop image with the exposure brought back up in a section of hillside:

Zack5CA7_2-1604548296914.png

Thanks for any advice!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dropping Exposure in Lightroom looks bad when I bring it back up in Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo of a backlight hillside at dusk that I'm trying to edit as follows:

1) Bring down the exposure in Lightroom Classic to bring more color into the sky

2) Import the image into Photoshop (right click + edit in Photoshop)

3) Use magnetic lasso to select the hillside to create an exposure edit layer and bring the exposure of the hillside back up slightly

When I go to do step 3, it looks as if the data for the image of the hillside has been compressed/corrupted on the move from Lightroom to Photoshop. When I bring the exposure back up the hillside is horribly pixelated with weird colors where it looked fine in the RAW image I start with in Lightroom. What am I missing here? 

Here's a section of...

...the raw imported Lightroom image:

Zack5CA7_0-1604548188091.png

...the Lightroom image with exposure brought down:

Zack5CA7_1-1604548253193.png

...the Photoshop image with the exposure brought back up in a section of hillside:

Zack5CA7_2-1604548296914.png

Thanks for any advice!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the difference between raw files and rendered RGB files, and why you should always do as much processing as possible in Lightroom/ACR, before moving to Photoshop.

A Lightroom adjustment to a raw file is not necessarily reversible in Photoshop!

A raw file has up to 14 stops dynamic range, recorded by the camera sensor as a linear gamma grayscale image. If you could see that, you would see an image that is dark, flat and very tonally compressed to hold the full dynamic range. To produce a useful image it has to be gamma encoded (among other things) with a much steeper contrast curve, and in this process, a great deal of information is inevitably lost.

The art of raw processing is deciding which parts to lose.

The point is that this can be recovered if you have access to the full raw sensor data. If all you have is the rendered, gamma encoded RGB result, it's gone forever.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 2