Highlighted

Dust and scratches - Automate old image restoration in Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm about to start work scanning old photos slides etc. I am looking for advice in removing dust ans scratches. I need something that can be automated as there are thousands of them. The customer wants some scanned at 300dpi and others at 600dpd for jpg and also wants some as tiffs. i think photoshop dust and scratches does a good job but cant figure out if i just set it up per file type/dpi or if there are other methods out there. Anyone have ideas or solutions please?

Thanks aand stay safe

Dave

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dust and scratches - Automate old image restoration in Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm about to start work scanning old photos slides etc. I am looking for advice in removing dust ans scratches. I need something that can be automated as there are thousands of them. The customer wants some scanned at 300dpi and others at 600dpd for jpg and also wants some as tiffs. i think photoshop dust and scratches does a good job but cant figure out if i just set it up per file type/dpi or if there are other methods out there. Anyone have ideas or solutions please?

Thanks aand stay safe

Dave

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 18, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

As you're looking to automate the restoration process in Photoshop, please have a look here and let us know if it helps: https://www.adorama.com/alc/basic-photo-restoration-how-to-restore-old-photos-using-photoshop

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that you use a scanner and software that offers infrared dust removal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 1
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Dust and scratches filter is a filter need to be applied selectivly. applying the filter the whole image is just  going to soften and blur  the image.  Basically you can apply the filters to the  whole image then mask its effect to preserve image detail and sharpness. You would do this on a dupe of the image layer  or stamp visible layers converted to a smart object layers you add a smart dust and scratch smart filter to.Then work on the filter mask to selectively apply the filter. Because it is a smart filter you can re-adjust the smart dust and scratch finer. You cour make an interactive Action or Script to semi automated process.  The filter and masking will need human intervention

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0