Highlighted

Editing in Photoshop from Lightroom - Image opens as background layer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!

I have had two problems arise today. They have never happened before and 2 hours with Adobe support has not solved the problem. I am using the latest version of desktop LR Classic V10.0 and the latest version of PS 2021 22,0,1

System was working fine yesterday so I can only presume I have done something stupid but no one cna work out what I have done. Problem one, see attached images PS1 When I am in LR and I wish to edit an image in PS there has never been a problem whether a single image or multiple images loading as layers. The images load correctly as layers with the relevant image file number (for example) DSC_1234 against each layer.

Today, while trying to edit a single image in PS it loads into PS but opens as a "Background layer" (see attached image PS1   I am in eal estate photography and two very common uses in PS are 1) to super impose an image on the TV in the room and 2) to reduce the glare of the TV. I can do the first but not the second. 

The second problem is that although I can load multiple layers into PS and they show correctly with their file numbers against each layer I cannot use a mask as the colour selections on the left (Please see attached image ps2) is set to two black boxes instead of one white, one black (where you use an "X" keyboard command to switch between the two. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both LR and PS, still no joy. I have a tom of edting as a backlog and I am stuck. Help my friends! (thanks in advance)Tom

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing in Photoshop from Lightroom - Image opens as background layer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!

I have had two problems arise today. They have never happened before and 2 hours with Adobe support has not solved the problem. I am using the latest version of desktop LR Classic V10.0 and the latest version of PS 2021 22,0,1

System was working fine yesterday so I can only presume I have done something stupid but no one cna work out what I have done. Problem one, see attached images PS1 When I am in LR and I wish to edit an image in PS there has never been a problem whether a single image or multiple images loading as layers. The images load correctly as layers with the relevant image file number (for example) DSC_1234 against each layer.

Today, while trying to edit a single image in PS it loads into PS but opens as a "Background layer" (see attached image PS1   I am in eal estate photography and two very common uses in PS are 1) to super impose an image on the TV in the room and 2) to reduce the glare of the TV. I can do the first but not the second. 

The second problem is that although I can load multiple layers into PS and they show correctly with their file numbers against each layer I cannot use a mask as the colour selections on the left (Please see attached image ps2) is set to two black boxes instead of one white, one black (where you use an "X" keyboard command to switch between the two. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both LR and PS, still no joy. I have a tom of edting as a backlog and I am stuck. Help my friends! (thanks in advance)Tom

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, don't worry. This is Photoshop masking 101 🙂

The foreground/background color selector is not fixed. You can change those colors into whatever you want - although naturally, with a mask it's limited to neutral tones from black to white. Just click it and the color picker comes up.

The simplest way to get black and white is to press D. D is for "default" - white foreground and black background.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the solution and prompt respnse, that's now sorted but the problem with the images suddenly opening as a background layer instead of as a layer with the file name of the image still remains

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 0
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand the problem. If it's a single image it will open as a flat background layer. You can easily turn it into a floating layer just by double-clicking in the layers panel. In any case they will become floating layers if you drag or copy them over.

If, however, you open several images from Lightroom as layers in Photoshop, and they still come in as individual flat background layers, that's a known bug. I haven't seen it myself, but it's been reported quite often.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 0
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL Images Sent to Ps from LrC, "Edit In" > "Edit In Photoshop xxxx", open as the Background Layer.

2020-11-21 16_08_36-© L1017235.DNG @ 50% (RGB_16).png

Only if you send it to Ps as a Smart Object does it open with the Image File Name as the name of the layer.

2020-11-21 16_11_36-© L1017236-1 @ 25% (L1017236, RGB_16) _.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 0