• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing technique?

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the easiest way to lighten (or darken) a certain area of a photo, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the easiest ways is to burn and dodge.  There are several ways you can do that. Research the subject dodge and burn and see which method you want to use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check the following video hope it helps you .... regards

https://youtu.be/meFr1mKkWqM

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My favorite is using a curves adjustment layer that I can then fill the mask with black, then paint in the areas I want lightened or darken using a white brush 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I like JJ's suggestion of using Dodge & Burn as it allows you to target tonal ranges and get good control of local contrast.  Curves will also do this via carefull placement of the curve control points, but then you need to play with the curves layer mask to localise the effect.  I like top paint it directly on the image.

A favourite way to lighten an area is to select the are and copy it to a new layer.  Then set the new layer to Screen.  This can often be too much, so you have to reduce the new layers opacity.  To control the extent (boundary) I Ctrl click the new layer to load as a selection, and add a layer mask.  You can then use Mask Properties panel change things like feather, density etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines