Eizo ColorEdge CG241W which monitor calibrator do you use?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to replace an outdated puck to calibrate my Eizo monitor after not having done it for some time.  I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for the puck to use?  I will be using the Eizio software (ColorNavigator 6.4.24.2) and need the puck for the calibration. In the past I had used xRite, but I am open to other suggestions.

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Eizo ColorEdge CG241W which monitor calibrator do you use?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to replace an outdated puck to calibrate my Eizo monitor after not having done it for some time.  I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for the puck to use?  I will be using the Eizio software (ColorNavigator 6.4.24.2) and need the puck for the calibration. In the past I had used xRite, but I am open to other suggestions.

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2021 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slightly unrelated sinceI have an Eizo and use the built in calibrator but what luminence or brightness level do you plan to use? (cd/m2)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having recently watched Daniel Gregory's video on Color Management with David Cross's Photoshop Virtual Summit II, I was planning to use between 80-100 cd/m2.  I know that my prints when last I was printing, were too dark so Gregory says this means that the monitor is too bright.  When I had calibrated my monitor, the prints and the monitor were very much the same and I can see from my notes that I had used 80. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

westcopake, hi,

there are no "ideal" defaults for this 

IF you are viewing the screen in quite subdued light and the print is properly illuminated (i.e. in quite bright daylight) then a luminance target level of between 100 and 120 CDm2 usually works well.

But for both luminance and colour temperature (white point) the best way to get a really good match is to work through various target settings, gradually honing in on the 'visual match' to a properly illuminated reference print or proof.

I use this http://www.colourmanagement.net/products/icc-profile-verification-kit

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This brings up an interesting aspect of color management - screen luminence. If printing is taken entirely out of the discussion - i.e. if you were doing your work solely to be displayed either on the web or on clients computers, then setting of brightness or luminence of the monitor is different. A picture edited with low ambient light with a setting of 100cd/m2 will be look identical if viewed in a brightly lit room with a monitor setting of 200cd/m2. This effect can be duplicated in Photoshop - edit a picture with the Photoshop backround black then make the Photoshop workspace white - the picture will now look too dark (pupils have constricted). What this means is that if all your client's monitors are set to 200cd/m2 AND they are viewing in the same ambient light conditions as you edited in with your monitor at 100cd/m2, your work will look too light. If their monitors are set to 200cd/m2 and they are viewing in a bright room, your work will look perfect. My point is that dealing not with printing, but only with the web and clients, the setting of luminence becomes quite entangled. I don't have an easy answer, just throwing it out there. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynne, The i1 display pro is a good reasonably priced calibrator,

I prefer to use it with basICColor display 6 software as it carries out a very thorough assessment of the display characteristics. more here (free 14 day demo-version)

https://www.colourmanagement.net/products/basiccolor/basiccolor-display-software/

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The i1 Display Pro is the obvious choice.

The Spyders are generally better than their somewhat bad reputation, but don't buy the cheap Express edition just for the sensor. I have a suspicion that they dump their off-spec sensors here.

In any case, the i1 is rock solid and always the safe choice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an I1Display Pro here with Colour Navigator 7 - rock solid 🙂

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0