Highlighted

Enhancing image of number plate so it is readable.

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently the victim of a violent road rage incident. I have a photo of the car number plate of the attacker but as it is not very clear the police say I need to obtain cctv footage. However, on contacting the highways agency they told me the cctv camera in question isnt currently being manned due to coronavirus. Is there anyway I can use photoshop to enhance the image so that I can confidently decide the number plate? I had my 3 year old daughter in the car who was terrified by the incident and significant damage caused to my car so I'd like to give the police something to go on to catch this psychopath. TIA for any help to read the number plate or car make and model. Ive included an image if it helps.

20200726_205611.jpg

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

Enhancing image of number plate so it is readable.

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently the victim of a violent road rage incident. I have a photo of the car number plate of the attacker but as it is not very clear the police say I need to obtain cctv footage. However, on contacting the highways agency they told me the cctv camera in question isnt currently being manned due to coronavirus. Is there anyway I can use photoshop to enhance the image so that I can confidently decide the number plate? I had my 3 year old daughter in the car who was terrified by the incident and significant damage caused to my car so I'd like to give the police something to go on to catch this psychopath. TIA for any help to read the number plate or car make and model. Ive included an image if it helps.

20200726_205611.jpg

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
There is no detail to retrieve, and we are asked not to assist with these requests. Please contact law enforcement.
Jane

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane. I have already contacted the police and they say they cannot help or take the investigation further without the number plate. They do not have resources to do this themselves. So I am trying to find out how I can improve this image. I'm happy to do it myself, I just need to know how.

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Helen,

When there is no detail as in your photo, there is nothing that can be retrieved.

~ Jane

8EA528DF-9837-4BBE-A639-1F9EA7EA9239.png

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a cropped image so as to not identify persons. Would the original image have more detail? Or how can I get more detail or up the resolution?

Translate

Translate

jane-e LATEST
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm sorry. Cropping does not change the detail, and "upping" the resolution only adds more of the same pixels and will not help. And we still would not be able to assist. See the official response from Adobe staff here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/faq-can-you-help-deblur-or-improve-license-plate-detail/td-...

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have your answer.  That image contains no details.  Photoshop cannot bring back data that does not exist.

image.png

I'm very sorry for your misfortune.  But glad you and your 3 yr old are unharmed.  Broken cars can be repaired fairly easily but broken people can't.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate