Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eraser in photoshop NOT working NOR responding

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just simpily :

1.  open a photo at PHOTOSHOP as background; then make a background copy for editing.

2.  work on the background copy with "eraser", no response at all.

3.  try erasing on the background itself, eraser hide wanted area in white, and just stop there, not erasing anything

Recently use a lot of "quck selection" and may have made some mistakes causing the present troubles. 

Any advanced user here if can help out, I apprecite it greatly.  

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you hide the background layer before working on the copied layer with the eraser tool

2020-02-11 08_39_06-Microsoft Edge.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots including the pertinet Panels (Options, Layers, Channels, …). 

Did you hide the Background Layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for getting back.  can u tell me how to attach screenshots pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reply just hit the Insert Photos icon

2020-02-11 09_13_51-eraser in photoshop NOT working NOR responding - Adobe Support Community - 10916.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, hadn’t noticed your post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Ged, and c_pfaffenbichler.

I attach three screenshots:

1.  original

2.  erasing on the background layer

3.  erasing on the background copy layer

As shown, eraser hide areas where I dragged through with white, but it shows as is, nothing is erased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the »Insert Photos«-button … 

insertPhotosButton.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

originaloriginalerasing on the background layererasing on the background layererasing on the background copy layererasing on the background copy layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see the problem – the checkered transparency pattern appears to be visible behind the erased parts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no erase happens ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be using the wrong tool for what you're trying to achieve, it looks like you're trying to remove the person on the step, perhaps you could explain what it is you're actually trying to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gred, you are right. I can use other tool.  but eraser still has a problem.  Normally, when I drag with "eraser", things that I do not want will be removed when I release "eraser".  But now when I release dragging "eraser" nothing has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the third screenshot you posted it shows that the eraser tool is working as expected2020-02-11 09_43_14-.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I release "eraser" and move my cursor outside of this picture area, no erase happens.  It shows as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm obviously missing something, if you feel that the tool is not working as expected try resetting all the Tools

tools.png

If that doesn't help try a preferences reset

2020-02-11 10_22_28-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Ged.  I will try it out.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your screenshot above shows it erased i.e. you can see through it to transparency (indicated by the transparency checker pattern).

So for clarity

Erase on a background layer paints with the background colour.

Erase on a normal layer , makes the layer transparent so you can see through it to the layers below (or to the transparency grid if there are no layers below).

Your screenshots show normal behaviour.

Were you expecting the area to be filled? In which case make a selection and use content aware fill.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you Dave.  I will try to figure it out.  thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines