Highlighted

Eraser is lagging suddenly

Explorer ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I think this happened before but i can't remember how it was fixed.

My Eraser tool is lagging suddenly. I do a stroke and then can literally watch the hole in the layer create itself—even when 'pencil' is the eraser setting. I have pretty basic settings in my Preferences > Performances. I purged the history and restarted Photoshop, but no joy.

My brush tools are still sprightly, no probs there.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Eraser is lagging suddenly

Explorer ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I think this happened before but i can't remember how it was fixed.

My Eraser tool is lagging suddenly. I do a stroke and then can literally watch the hole in the layer create itself—even when 'pencil' is the eraser setting. I have pretty basic settings in my Preferences > Performances. I purged the history and restarted Photoshop, but no joy.

My brush tools are still sprightly, no probs there.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 15, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

That should not be happening, let's make it right.

Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop and operating system you're working on?
Also, could you please try resetting the Eraser tool and let us know if it helps?

Choose 'Reset Tool' to fix unexpected results when using a tool
Basic troubleshooting steps to solve problems and issues in Adobe Photoshop

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2019 1
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had issues with the eraser lagging and realised it was because smoothing was switched on. I switched smoothing off and it works fine now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just fixed my eraser lag issue!  I didn't know what was going on, but now I remembered turning on smoothing.  Just turned it off and eraser bahaving perfectly.  Thank you!!!

Jeanne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Actually it seems to have fixed itself. Not sure if it was because I changed some performance settings and it took a while to kick in or what.

Thanks

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2019 0
Explorer ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

The problem is back—seriously lag on the brush tool now. The non-anti-aliased pencil tool is still quick and responsive and sprightly, but not the brush. I'm using a Wacom tablet (not a Cintiq), and it's also slow if I use the mouse.

This is worrying because I doubled my RAM last year.

I'm on an iMac, OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Thanks!

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Participant ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix for this. We have been reporting brush/eraser lag for 5+ years and Adobe are unable to fix it. The only way to achieve reliable performance is to downgrade to Photoshop CS6 (last decent working version) or move to a competing application where bugs actually get fixed. Affinity Photo is a good option, other people are having good results with Corel Painter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Explorer ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Ok now.  I hit reset on the brush tool.

To be honest, Photoshop is way bigger an application than I actually need for illustration and photo work. I'd switch to an an alternative that costs nothing or virtually nothing if:

A. I could be bothered learning it

B. I cold be confident that my years of PSD files would open perfectly

€60 p/m ain't bad for the entire Creative Suite, but I barely use any of it, and if I just paid for Photoshop (and Illustrator maybe) it wouldn't be much cheaper.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0