Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool acting strange [ Photoshop 2020 ]

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I recently upgraded from PS 2018 to 2020 and am having some issues. I've managed to sort most out including the ridiculous transform changes, but one has me stumped. I started doing some basic drawing and needed to use the eraser tool, but noticed that nothing was erased. I undid the use of the eraser and noticed that my lines were darker, almost as if there was a dupliate layer below it. I only had two layers active, the background layer, and the new one I created to draw on.

I hid my drawing layer and noticed that somehow there was a "copy" of my drawing on the background. Out of curiosity I hid the background layer and then made it visible again only for the "copy" to not be there. Making the drawing layer visible revealed my original piece, missing the parts I tried erasing. I've been over settings, tried different things but still cannot fix this issue.

A bit more info, I've noticed that if I zoom in the "copy" disappears, but when zoom out (either with ctrl/- or ctrl/0) it shows up again. I've never had this issue with my older version, and honestly it's really starting to piss me off.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Try this: uncheck "Legacy Compositing" in the Preferences > Performance, then restart Photoshop.
~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: uncheck "Legacy Compositing" in the Preferences > Performance, then restart Photoshop.
~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have fixed it! Thanks so much, was about to throw my graphics tablet through my wall!

Swear I tried that but I probably just never restarted.

Cheers again! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find any "Legacy Composing" option ... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bunny26678297aw6c wrote:

I can't find any "Legacy Composing" option ... 😞

You may be using a newer version of Photoshop than 2020. When Legacy Compositing became unnecessary in later versions, it was removed by Adobe. See this help page for details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

If you are having issues with a newer version, please start a new thread and give us details so we can better assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines