• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message when trying to save files to our server

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a couple of weeks we have error messages popping up whe we try to save files to our server. This error occurs on all working stations so it's not a local problem. The message "File can't be saved because of a software error" shows up, then the only way is to save the file on the local hard drive and then copy it into the project folder on our server. While trying to save PS places an interims help file in the folder "Adobe Photoshop" followed by a very long line of numbers. "Support" couldn't help, does anyone here have an idea?

We have the newest PS version running (2021), my iMac runs MacOS 10.15.7, our server runs 10.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe does not support saving to a server. See here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you, but this is rather new to me. I started working with PS in 1997 and ever since then we stored our files on a server and opened them over the network. Never had any problems. Why is it that PS doesn't support networks now? And I can not believe that large companies save their work on local desktops that don't have a back up…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you talked to your network administrator about the issue, it could be any number of factors that's causing the issue.

Edit: you could try posting on the Adobe Feedback Forum which is monitored by Adobe engineers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged, yes that was my first step. He told me the same, that Adobe wouldn't support network saving but I just can't understand we Adobe would kill this very important basic function that was there for more that two decades…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As I understand it, Adobe doesn't support saving directly to the network because of the variables on the network. Ged's advice is good to talk to the network administrator, as they may have made a recent change.

It's not new that Adobe doesn't support saving directly to a server. Read the entire help page that we both sent (Ged is a faster typist than I 😊.) Here is one paragraph:

"Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk. You can then open the files in Photoshop. This workflow avoids problems that occur when network system setups or removable media device drivers are incompatible with the operating system or Photoshop."

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much Jane-e, I read the entire page that you've sent still it doesn't answer my question. Appearantly this issue shows up in certain periods before disappearing again. Looks like I have to wait for the issue to go away by itself. Thank you for effort and your precious time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines