Highlighted

Error opening .TIF files.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a problem with .TIF files and am looking for a solution.

Last Friday, like many other times, I was sitting in Lightroom processing about twenty color photos [raw files; .CR2 from my Canon 5DsR]. I then opened these files in Photoshop, added some layer adjustments that made the images black and white, and then saved all the files as .TIF files. I then batch converted copies of all my .TIF files to flattened .TIF files that I could send to my friend. I of course saved my original .TIF files with all the original layers and layer adjustments.

Today I tried to open my original (none flattened) .TIF files and Photoshop replies:

"Could not open" _K5A3602.tif "because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.".

Very strange because I could without any problem open the files last Friday when I sat with them. Thus tested to open the original .TIF files in IrfanView = no problem. There were neither any problem to open them in the GIMP or Windows 10 gallery or even Paint. But what I really need to access are my layers in the original .TIF files which does not appear in any of the mentioned applications, not even if I re-save the files as new .TIF files or other file formats.

So, is there perhaps anyone else who has had similar problems and possibly any solution or tips what I can try to do? Maybe you know some kind of appication that can extract layers from a .TIF files? I myslef tried updating Photoshop to the latest version and it did not help either, even tried opening the original .TIF files on another computer in Photoshop which gave the same error message.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Best Regards,
Leonard Gren

Topics

Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error opening .TIF files.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a problem with .TIF files and am looking for a solution.

Last Friday, like many other times, I was sitting in Lightroom processing about twenty color photos [raw files; .CR2 from my Canon 5DsR]. I then opened these files in Photoshop, added some layer adjustments that made the images black and white, and then saved all the files as .TIF files. I then batch converted copies of all my .TIF files to flattened .TIF files that I could send to my friend. I of course saved my original .TIF files with all the original layers and layer adjustments.

Today I tried to open my original (none flattened) .TIF files and Photoshop replies:

"Could not open" _K5A3602.tif "because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.".

Very strange because I could without any problem open the files last Friday when I sat with them. Thus tested to open the original .TIF files in IrfanView = no problem. There were neither any problem to open them in the GIMP or Windows 10 gallery or even Paint. But what I really need to access are my layers in the original .TIF files which does not appear in any of the mentioned applications, not even if I re-save the files as new .TIF files or other file formats.

So, is there perhaps anyone else who has had similar problems and possibly any solution or tips what I can try to do? Maybe you know some kind of appication that can extract layers from a .TIF files? I myslef tried updating Photoshop to the latest version and it did not help either, even tried opening the original .TIF files on another computer in Photoshop which gave the same error message.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Best Regards,
Leonard Gren

Topics

Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leonard-

This sounds rather odd and not something that I have heard of. It might be helpful to others if you can share details about your operating system. And to confirm, you are up to date on the latest version of Photoshop.

Warmly/j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Joseph, here is information about my operating system:

• PC
  • Windows 10 Home (latest version, fully updated)
  • Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00Ghz
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Latest version of Photoshop CC [21.2.2 Release]
  • Latest version of Lightroom Classic [9.4 Release Camera Raw 12.4]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide one of the presumably layered tif files and the corresponding flattened one? 

What are the files’ sizes in comparison and do they support the assumption that the one group contains Layers? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for showing interest in my problem.

Here is the .TIF file with layers which Photoshop can't open; 8bit, AdobeRGB, 300 dpi = 215 MB
(As mentioned, other applications can open this file without any problem, such as IrfanView and GIMP, but they don't show any layers, which is what I need.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm72nevj9tk6fom/original_K5A3602.tif?dl=0

And here is a copy of the .TIF file which I flattened from the original .TIF file before there was any problem opening it; 8bit, AdobeRGB, 300 dpi = 55 MB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1inujhjhwcg9wlh/flattened_K5A3602.tif?dl=0

Thank you very much for looking into this, I really appreciate any help I can get.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had overlooked your post. 

Thanks for the files but I could not get out any of the individual layers, either. 

There is a small section starting with »Customers have suggested these recovery utilities« on this page

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-recovery-photoshop.html

but the apps mentioned there seem to refer to psd and psb specifically. 

There are other psd-recovery-tools available, but I have no experience with them and don’t know whether they would also be able to process tif. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one user who is having this same problem. (the other 4 users have no issues)

Manually doing a File>Save As, saving as TIF (any options) then closing and reopening the TIF results in a cannot read TIF file error.

Its about 50/50 that the TIF will be saved incorrectly due to something in photoshop that we cannot pinpoint. 

Windows 10 Pro

i7-9700

32GB Ram

Radeon R9 360

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines