Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - PS CS5 can't save for web

May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to save for web (ctrl+alt+shift+S or file save for web) I recieve this error

What is the fix?

saveForWebError.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file 16 bit? Should be 8 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 8 bit.  It is a standard *.raf photograph. I've processed thousands of them in the past (in other versions of Photoshop)

8-bit.gif

I can use File > Save and File > Save As but  the "save for the web" throws the error as soon as that option is selected.   No images that I have opened (regardless of format raf, jpg, gif, png, etc) can use the save for web option.

I've used Photoshop since 1998 and just upgraded from CS4 to CS5.  This is the 1st use of the new install.  No customizations have been made.  Default install and configuration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled.

Cold boot (power down, power on)

Reinstall

Same problem

Video screen capture of what happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an unresolved issue.

OS is Windows Vista x86

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't help you, but it hasn't been mentioned above...  It works okay on some systems.  I just tested it.

I noticed that it seems to be pointed at the My Documents folder at the first run (though that shouldn't matter before you even see the dialog).

By the way, the document doesn't have to be a .gif to Save for Web and Devices (though it can be, I tested both).

Best of luck to you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this issue ever resolved?  If so could you please post a resolution.   I have the same problem with Windows Vista 64 bit.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is still unresolved.

It appears that PS CS5 can't find the internal link to the save for web component/module.

It looks to be an internal software bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save For Web is a plugin installed with Photoshop.

The only reason Photoshop might not be able to find it, is if you moved the plugin or the application (relative to the plugins folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Adobe the "Save for Web" preferences are saved in the "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Save for Web\12.0\Adobe Save for  Web 12.0 Prefs" folder.  I currently have nothing in the "Save for Web" folder.

I have tried to install as administrator but that did not create this Prefs file either.  So I guess the reason the error message says "The system cannot find the path specified" is because it cannot find the Prefs file to tell it what path to use.

I do have something in the "Save for Web AI" folder and the "Save for Web" feature works find in AI.

Would someone be willing to post what they have in their save for web prefs file so I can try to create one manually?  Thanks for the help.

Turtle, did you have a prefs file created in the above mentioned path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm havng the same issue   Any progress on this front? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Djunabali,

Can you tell me if you have anything in your  "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Save for Web\12.0\Adobe Save  for  Web 12.0 Prefs" folder?  Also, what operating system are you running?  I still do not have a solution but trying to see what is the common factor of those who do have the problem.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was never able to resolve this issue under Windows Vista Ultimate (x86).

I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Professional (x86).

PS CS5 installs and works as it should now.

No idea why it was incomparable with my install of Vista (maybe a hardware issue, maybe a software issue......  who knows).  I did have some incomparability issues with new releases of other software (non Adobe software) so I believe that it was NOT a Photoshop issue entirely.

One thing I did notice.   I had not upgraded Vista with either SP1 or SP2 (found this out when running windows 7 comparability advisor).

I DID NOT try to reinstall PS CS5 after upgrading Vista with SP1 and SP2 as I had already made the commitment to upgrade the OS and move on.

I'm not sure if any of this will help others but this has been my experience.  I won't mark this thread as "resolved" as others will have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm running Vista x64 with SP1, and there was no folder here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Save for Web\12.0\Adobe Save for Web 12.0 Prefs

Because I still had prefs under 11.0, I tired copying and renaming the prefs file into a 12.0 directory. No help

Best!

Djuna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I noticed.  The bios/firmware on my Adaptec 2230SLP SCSI raid controller was not current.  When I downloaded and flashed the bios/firmware a lot of things seemed to start working (like windows 7 installed...  failed to install without the bios/firmware update).

Check the bios/firmware on your MB and any cards and update them if they are out of date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djunabali wrote:

Hi all,

I'm running Vista x64 with SP1, and there was no folder here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Save for Web\12.0\Adobe Save for Web 12.0 Prefs

FYI, I have a 11.0 (CS4) file at the path given above (with 11.0 in the appropriate places), but no 12.0.

I did find these files, however:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Adobe Save for Web 12.0 Prefs

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Plugins\Adobe Save for Web CS5\Photoshop\Adobe Save for Web CS5 Prefs

Both of these files appear to have binary information in them.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, on an identical install on my laptop (Vista x32), the save for web

feature works fine!

I also have no troubles with the text tool on either system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ,people this post help me alot

i fix my problem like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED .....

OK guys....I had this problem for the longest time & Whenever I tried to use "save to web" feature, I would get the same error.... after a lot of research & finally found a resolution.....

I wanted to take this opportunity to share the resolution why this feature was not working properly....

Here is the link where you will find what the problem was...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/235245-solved-erro...

Basically, go to this registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

& make sure that your current "my documents" sub folders are set to:

My Music       REG_EXPAND_SZ         %USERPROFILE%\Music
My Pictures    REG_EXPAND_SZ         %USERPROFILE%\Pictures
My Videos      REG_EXPAND_SZ         %USERPROFILE%\Videos
Personal         REG_EXPAND_SZ         %USERPROFILE%\Documents

etc...etc...etc....

When I fixed my registry...this error went away & I had no problems with it anymore...please post this resolution on the website for others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!!!

Cheers,

Troy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys...anyone who has this problem & was able to fix it with the solution given above...please post it so that we know for sure if the problem was  with the broken registry attributes!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that a number of things can cause this error/problem.

My issue was an out of date raid controller bios.  Once updated everything installed and ran as it should.

I recieved this error on the first run of a new install.  PS CS5 failed to run the first time.

Once I updated the hardware firmware a lot of problems went away including this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leonty16's solution worked for me.  Some of the %userprofile% registry entries on my system had been changed to various mapped drives instead ie M:/My Documents by the network admins.  Changing them back as shown made 'Save For Web' on Photoshop CS5 on WinXP work again.  The next photoshop update should ask people to check these registry entries if the same error occurs or use a workaround if they are on computer that they don't have access to change the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I have been fighting this for months!!!

Changing the PERSONAL RegEdit (or whatever it is) to %USERPROFILE% (had old old drive previous) worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so now we are in 2018, i make this move and nothing happen, still the same massage pop up to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines