Highlighted

Error reading machine specific preferences

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whenever I open Photoshop it gives me an error message saying "error reading machine specific preferences. They will be reset to defaults". sure enough, they are, why does it keep giving me this error message and how can I fix it.Screenshot 2017-10-07 at 12.17.03 PM.jpg

Hi cryptoj0e,

It seems that your startup Photoshop preferences are corrupt. It could be beacuse you've had upgraded to this version from a previous version of Photoshop or you have some 3'rd party plugins preventing the app to launch.

Please restore your preferences to default following this article Preferences in Photoshop  and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error reading machine specific preferences

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whenever I open Photoshop it gives me an error message saying "error reading machine specific preferences. They will be reset to defaults". sure enough, they are, why does it keep giving me this error message and how can I fix it.Screenshot 2017-10-07 at 12.17.03 PM.jpg

Hi cryptoj0e,

It seems that your startup Photoshop preferences are corrupt. It could be beacuse you've had upgraded to this version from a previous version of Photoshop or you have some 3'rd party plugins preventing the app to launch.

Please restore your preferences to default following this article Preferences in Photoshop  and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 08, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue, on a PC.  Along with this issue, my PS freezes every time I try to resize an image.  These two issues started on the same day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cryptoj0e,

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, it really did work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i open preferences when photoshop is not opening?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error, I have the restored the preferences, did not work. The same error again and again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error occurs when you don't have enough space on your hard drive. Clear at least 15 GB off your hard drive and it should work fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Mr Mouse LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem and I'm pretty sure that 1.1 TB is enough storage space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0