• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: There is a problem with Generator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For past two days, I get this error and some of PS function don't work: "There is a problem with Generator. Please quit Photoshop and try again. If the problem persists, remove any third-party plug-ins or try reinstalling Photoshop."

Today, I updated PS, and it installed this version:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.8 20191122.r.92 2019/11/22: 1208122 x64

I don't think I've added any plugins and the Generator plugin in the photoshop files is empty.

I've restarted PS, I've restarted my machine, and I've udpated the software.  I still get this same error message.  I can't find a support ticket system for monthly subscription users, is there one?  Please assist. Sincerely, VT

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Hi,

Me too had the same issue and tried almost everything to get rid of the warning message for which the results were negative after every attempt.But, Finally when I had an accidental glance to my notifications panel, which is at the bottom most right corner of the task bar in Win 10 I got the solution for it.

When I clicked the notification which said "Unauthorised changes blocked(Controlled access blocked)"  it lead me to the " Virus & threat Secur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, Malwarebytes. Just started today and all the steps in the help doc weren't working.

I excluded the entire Adobe folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Excluded the entire photoshop folder in Malwarebytes and warning gone. 

FYI- even with the warning, I expereinced no PS functionality loss or issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my man !!! 
That was the solution !!
THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ged!  Malwarebytes was causing my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was useful. I didn't have Malwarebytes installed by excluded Photoshop.exe from Ransomware protection and that solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was super helpful! Thanks for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to export from Photoshop.  I get a error dialog box that says, "there is a problem with generator" and links me to these forums with an issue many years ago.  This just started for me.  I disabled the GPU and the error remains.  please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charles - I started a thread on this yesterday as well.  Still waiting for somebody smarted than me to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Me too had the same issue and tried almost everything to get rid of the warning message for which the results were negative after every attempt.But, Finally when I had an accidental glance to my notifications panel, which is at the bottom most right corner of the task bar in Win 10 I got the solution for it.

When I clicked the notification which said "Unauthorised changes blocked(Controlled access blocked)"  it lead me to the " Virus & threat Security/Protection History" in Windows Security.From there I "allowed" the "AdobeGCClient" or else you can simply turn of the "controlled folder acess" under Ransome ware protection.

IN SHORT  :

Goto Windows Security ˃ Virus & Threat Protection ˃ Ransomeware Protection (Bottom most) ˃ Manage Ransomeware protetion ˃ Allow an app through controlled folder access ˃ type "YES" for the prompt ˃ Add an allowed app ˃ select recently blocked app (you must have tried to open Adobe PS and try to export a file) ˃ Select "Adobe Photoshope.exe" and the "node.exe" . 

Thats all!!

Done!

Now go back and open Adobe PS..No more erorrs!!!

Note : This worked for me don't know whether it works for you,but please have a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shafi_su, I just wanted to say thank you. This has been bugging me for quite a while now and this fix was the only one to work after trying so many others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generator error message keeps popping up when opening Ps despite applying solution 1 and 2.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann

What operating system do you have, if you're on Windows 10 a couple of things to try, first go into the registry to this location

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Make sure the Personal value is set to %USERPROFILE%\Documents

2020-01-17 13_52_24-Window.png

Also try turning off Controlled folder access

https://kb.acronis.com/content/62142

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry forgot:

W10 prof. 1909 one account only me and all admin.

Alas this Hkey thingy did not work

Controlled folder acces was already disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling Generator in preferences

2020-01-17 15_42_46-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that fixed it.

Did not know it was in the Pref.

Dont use Ps that often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've had the same problem. I haven't gotten into the registry, but I'm using a university-owned and -managed laptop, and might not be able to. I tried solution 1 and 2 from the suggested link in Ps. I came here to this thread: I disabled Generator in preferences, and confirmed that the controlled folder access was off. It still tries to load Generator when I try to export the file. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it for me! I had tried every other solution on the web. My "Personal" key was blank. I changed it to %USERPROFILE%\Documents, and that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked perfectly for me!

Win 10 user without Malwarebytes installed, but getting the generator-error.

I did however very recently remove a harddrive from my computer, so my registry was pointing to a directory that was not present. (E:\Documents, where the E: drive was removed). Changing it to %USERPROFILE%\Documents was the fix for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method really works! I had the wrong %USERPROFILE%\Documents, and after I fixed it to valid the generator error was gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been chasing this all morning. Finally found the solution (for me anyway) - it was being caused by MalwareBytes, who are aware of it. This link for more info and the work-around: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/254622-latest-update-breaks-photoshop/?tab=comments#comment-13...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I've added Node.exe and port 8010 to allow list for both Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall which has stopped the error message, but didn't actually fix the issue. Export is still broken. See screenshot.

These have made no difference, and have all been attempted multiple times:

- disabling Generator

- resetting Photoshop preferences

- uninstalling all Adobe software

- running the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to clean all Adobe software from computer

- manually deleting the 25,000 remaining Adobe files from my computer after running cleanup tool

- manually deleting the hundreds of remaining Adobe registry entries after running cleanup tool

- reinstalling Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A lot of people are experiencing this issue, I've added your post to This Thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I appreciate the help and info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used the suggestion of excluding the photoshop folder in the settings of the latest version of Malwarebytes and it worked for me.  Generator is no longer a problem report when opening Photoshop.  Thanks for info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines