• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Existing type layer replaced by text with other type layer's text upon changing text properties

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is weird.

I have a type layer with some text in it (a headline, let's say). I click on the layer, I click on the Character Panel, and first thing I see is the color in the Panel is not the color of the font in the layer.

I then click on any Panel property, and the text in this layer is replaced by text from another layer in my document ( a paragraph layer, let's say), but the color is not the same as the layer the text came from.

Seems like a glitch, but I don't know how else to diagnose it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 124 Replies 124
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry about the confusion regarding your sex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should apologize for apparently not reading the thread before posting or you'd have picked up on Noel's software engineering background. And you seem to have some platform stereotypes that you might want to revisit since there are professionals in many fields who post here and who use either one or both platforms. It's not ironic to design on a PC nor develop on a Mac, and no...you didn't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

settle down now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so there is some hope for these files i have one file which i have continued to use while wating for the fix and it has gotten somewhat better then it was at one point. at it's worst any new text layers would also catch the currpution but now in this file new layers are no longer corrupted even after saving and re-opening. the older layers still go haywire upon editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can almost imagine random rearrangement of layer data occasionally causing data that was moved to be put back, but I wouldn't think that would be particularly encouraging.

I'd love to find out that when they release the fix Adobe also makes available a handy utility that can straighten out (or minimize) the damage in a saved PSD files.  I have no idea whether that's even possible, but it sure would be a nice gesture from them if they could do so.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well in my case i have a file which i use to create title graphics for slider images. many of the layers are re-used and most of them would never need editing but not being able to add new savavble layers is certainly worse then then just not being to edit old ones, granted obviously both still suck. i agree completey with your comments regarding Adobe addressing what is at this point a wide spread customer support issue in addition to being a technical one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add another (very) unhappy purchaser of CS6 .. this "bug" has now affected two projects and has cost me both time and money not to mention some client relation problems due to a missed deadline.

Photoshop is the tool of choice for our detailed web comps and unfortunally for us these usually have many text blocks. Unacceptable.

Please keep us updated on the progress of a fix or at least a workaround. And I agree with some of the other posters here .. this should really be told to any new purchasers of Photoshop CS6.

Brian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happened to me....
"Clicking on any text layer it is replaced by text from another layer in my document".. in my file the new text frame has moved a bit left from the original position

I do agree with 81.jointmedias: "this should really be told to any new purchasers of Photoshop CS6." The bug was causing me a major panic while I was editing a huge website presentation for a customer... the whole project with corrupted text layers was gone one morning. Fortunately I was able to recover the files from the backup files, but it took me a lot of time to figure it out what was causing the problem.. So, I'm back with Photoshop CS5 and the rest of our designers until CS6 update..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now approaching three months since my post on this thread on June 7, 2012.

I appreciate complexity of software debugging and the couple of updates which were issued, however communication needs improvement.

We would all appreciate regular updates (weekly?) on the progress. It has to do with visibility and building trust. It's okay if the updates do not contain the solution, but if we could at least hear about the activity you guys have had in a week, we would know you're still focused on this and it wouldn't continue eroding my trust in Adobe. Long spans of silence is frustrating, regardless on how hard you guys are working on this or how complex an issue it is to resolve.

We know you can't predict the future of when a fix will be available, but you can communicate the past with regularity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your frustration with how long this is taking to resolve. There's not a lot more I can offer about the status of this issue; as I've already indicated, this is a top priority bug, and has received considerable engineering and test resources over the past weeks. We continue to monitor the forums for posts about this issue, and as soon as I can share more information about how and when this will be resolved, I will do so. Sorry I don't have more at this time, but please don't mistake the lack of information for a lack of concern or a lack of committment to fix this problem.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, it's easy to see you've given us all the information you're allowed to give.  Thank you for that.

But perhaps what D.Estabrook is implying is that Adobe's current policy that keeps you from offering more detail about the status of this issue should be reconsidered.

It occurs to me that for cheap, simple software people are pretty much willing to deal with opaque development and "it is what it is, take it or leave it".  However, at the prices Adobe charges, a user purchasing a license is becoming a business partner with Adobe more than an end user.  This is especially true with the subscription model now.  People in partnership roles expect a certain amount of communication.

Something you might pass back to your management is that it wouldn't be evil if you were to be allowed to say a bit more about who was doing what to what part of the system.  Offering a little insight into how things are put together behind the scenes actually does allow users to become more educated on how it works and ultimately to make better results.  You'd not be "giving away the farm" by describing a bit more about what's gone wrong, and what you're doing to fix it - and maybe, just maybe some users might even be able to think up workarounds you haven't thought of.

Don't get me wrong, Adobe is more open than many big companies (try to engage a Microsoft engineer at all, for example), but things could be better.  Maybe you ought to try to be more of a little company that just happens to have big resources.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Noel, you have articulated my sentiments exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, any chance that Adobe might confirm whether or not today's 13.0.1 update resovles this issue?

"The Adobe Photoshop 13.0.1 update includes many critical fixes improving security, stability and performance while also addressing a number of high priority bugs with 3D, Crop, Type, Painting, Paths, and Shapes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think it actually made one my files worse now the new layers are breaking so im guessing the update does have soemthing to do with bug. would be nice if adobe could provide some clarity as far this issue as it pertains to 13.0.1 and best methods for rebuilding files.

Are these files totally screwed for all time and is it even safe to copy and paste layers from these files into to new files or would that infect the new files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you really need to create a new document (or at least open one that has no prior text layer corruption in it) to determine whether 13.0.1 solves this issue. 

Editorially, 13.0.1 had better solve this issue.  Adobe has known about the problem for 4+ months.

Additionally, Adobe needs to do something they've not done before (at least not recently):  Set the new build to be used for trial downloads.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I think you really need to create a new document (or at least open one that has no prior text layer corruption in it) to determine whether 13.0.1 solves this issue.

how you prove a negative though that's why i think only adobe can verify this issue was addressed unless someone has figured out how to induce the fault and i missed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file with only two text layers that developed the problem. It was easy to "fix" using PS CS5 in this instance since all I needed to do was reposition the bug-swapped text layers. I've done some editing to the layers and resaved the file since and have yet to see further misbehavior from the file. ubernaut_4 is right, we'd need to know what triggers the bug to know if a "fixed" file can ever be fully trusted. I'd also like to know if a new file can be "contaminated" by dragging text layers to it from a corrupted file.

Seriously, there are many of us who would like a more detailed post-mortem for this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know this is off topic but my handle is actually supposed to be "ubernaut" its an adobe shortname i have had for years and i figured since i have been going back and forth with customer service about this since creative cloud came out and my handle got all jacked up and that some higher ups might be watching this thread i would beg for someone to please fix that. aside over…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has said they addressed the bug.

But I agree, more transparency would be good.  Adobe should not assume everyone is dumb as a post about what's going on inside their computers..

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you send a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wanted to add my name to the list of concerned clients who are affected by this attrocious bug.

It would seem that on the day this post was made, I began working for my new employer, and commenced working on a draft wireframe/storyboard for a new high level project using PS as my tool of choice. They had purchased me that latest versions of all the software I required for my role as their newly recruited web dev. After spending a good few days working on the drafts and then taking the products to a show and tell meeting with my colleagues we identified some creases which needed ironing out of the system spec for our project, before I was to commence development with my new team.

I went back to my desk and began to edit my files only to be distraught at the fact that the 3 solid days I had spent working on my first project with my new employer had been completely wasted as a result of this bug....

Can you please keep us up to speed as to how the fix for this is progressing, so that other  unfortuate souls are not going to be expossed to potentially career limiting situations such as this from arrising? I do think you have a resposnisbility to do as such for your valued customers and I am certain that everybody else affected by it here would sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They say they fixed it in 13.0.1.  Do Help - Updates...  in Photoshop to get that update.

Files already corrupted are not fixed by this; but it's my understanding that it won't corrupt new files.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So actually i have found that under 13.0.1 the problem is semi resolved even for already corrupted files. Any new or edited layers now retain the attributes when even after save/reopen and typically all you lose when editing an existing corrupt layer, typically, is font, text content (which be retrieved via the layer name prior to edtiing, typically) and color. So the layer style itself is usaully intact, at least on mac, it's a pain but can usually be ignored unless you actually need to change a layer's text content. If you duplicate the layer first before editing you can avoid most of the pain since that helps you replicate the layer appearance faster and more acurately.

i learned all of this becasue one of my files is so importnat that i had to continue using it all throughout the bug and even now after the fix some of those corrupted layers may remain so for all eternity but at a certain problem i will barely remember they are. Long story short, all hope is not lost for these files, at least for my problem file, as far as i can tell, up to this point.

P.S. i do realize i put a ton of qualifiers on that but given i have only one sample to dervie my personal conclusions from that's what you get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. i do realize i put a ton of qualifiers on that but given i have only one sample to dervie my personal conclusions from that's what you get.

That is understandable. Qualifiers are often very useful.

Thank you for reporting your tests and observations.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to reply with this with hopes you guys have more info.

I have the same issue but when I try to adjust the image size or canvas it goes ballistic. All of the text gets replaced without me actually using the Text Tool.

Hope it helps. Do you have an update? It's unfortunate, I have a very large file and I am unable to sort it out as I lost my last-non corrupt file.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines