• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export crops off transparent area

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I am trying to export an image that is 1920x1080. This includes my artwork as well as a surrounding transparent area, which I want to be included in that 1920x1080 export, because I need it to help me with the layout of a design in another program. When I try to export a transparent PNG, Photoshop "crops off" the extra blank space. I want to export the entire frame, including unused blank space. Does anyone have a solution to this? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Some thing you do in Photoshop will trim Transparent boarders. Like Copy and pasting a layer with transparent boarders the pasted in layer will be trimmed to the layers subject.  Place will also trim an image file with transparent boarders. To get around that issue  I do not  save  image files with  any fully Transparent  boarders.  I recorder an action that add a Layer to my document before I save a image into a file type that supports transparency like a PSD or PNG file and in that layer that 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I used Export As PNG, it retains the transparent canvas.

When I use Export Save for Web (Legacy), there is an option to retain or remove transparency, however the document is still the same as the canvas size.

Are you using Generator? File > Generate > Image Assets with a layer name such as MyImage.png ? If so, this does exclude the transparent pixels, cropping the image down to pixel content. There is a Generator configuration file/s, however I can't recall if this behaviour can be changed or not.

EDIT: I had forgotten, you need to select all and add a layer mask to the group or layer in order for the canvas size to be exported using Generator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thing you do in Photoshop will trim Transparent boarders. Like Copy and pasting a layer with transparent boarders the pasted in layer will be trimmed to the layers subject.  Place will also trim an image file with transparent boarders. To get around that issue  I do not  save  image files with  any fully Transparent  boarders.  I recorder an action that add a Layer to my document before I save a image into a file type that supports transparency like a PSD or PNG file and in that layer that action add a 1% opacity pixel to the top left and bottom right canvas  corners. I do not use export so I do not  know how well export works of it it trims  boarders

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using File>Export>Export As or using Export As directly from the Layers panel or Layer>Export As?

Any layer masks or groups involved?

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone still having this issue. Check this plugin to configure stuff.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.html?zpluginId=2274&mv=product&mv2=accc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How does that plug-in change the trimming that can happen with Copy & Paste or Place?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines