Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export several artboards as GIF animated

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

Currently, I have 24+ static photoshop artboards. These are 24 banners with different resolutions.

For now I needed to create animated banners, but while I export it (ctrl+shift+alt+s) I have no options to choose artboards to export and it gives me one output file. The examples I put below.

Please, could someone help me with that issue or maybe advice another method to create animated banners.

This is what it looks like, full canvas has been exported as animated gif.

Photoshop v19.0 (en x64);

Windows 10 (updated)

test_gif.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

That's how it works. Animation stuff does not use artboards, being that the timeline only ever uses one canvas. You have to adapt your workflow and use separate documents and/or organize your stuff using groups.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how it works. Animation stuff does not use artboards, being that the timeline only ever uses one canvas. You have to adapt your workflow and use separate documents and/or organize your stuff using groups.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please describe on how to organize stuff using groups?

or at least clear out what you meant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any words on how to organize stuff using groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to save artboards as animated GIF (still a long method)

1. select the animated artboards 
  2. Click File>Export >Artboard to files
  3. select PSD as file type
  4. Check "Export Selected Artboards"
  5. uncheck "include overlaping layers"
  6. click "run"
  7. open the exported psd
  8. now export as animated GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save my artboards to files, the animation disapears and I just have a still image in my new psd file. Did I choose a wrong option ?

Capture d’écran 2021-11-26 à 15.47.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ayop87386085 mate, you're a genius! Thank you! 

Working smart >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to do it using groups in a document with artboards. I don't know what Mylenium is talking about.

You could do it by making a slice on each artboard, but it is extremely cumbersome and not worth that effort.

You have to make separate Photoshop documents that do not have artboards. Build your timeline in each document and export using the old Save for Web legacy export.

At least Adobe gave us the option of exporting artboards as individual PSDs from the Export menu, so we don't have to build the separate documents from scratch. It would be nice if they added animation features and GIF export from an artboard document, though.

Being that it is 3 years after your original post and Adobe still has not added any way to do it, I doubt they will be adding it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha dang he ditched you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to to export one by one: hide all artboards except the one you want to export as gif, than export it normaly.

Do the same for all other artboards. Just check the gif naming: it takes the psd name by default, not the artboard name, you will have to correct that every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this way the export includes a bigger artboard including the hidden one. I've test this to export as a video. File / export / render video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best answer in here and yet, it gets no appreciation... hide all the other artboards and then Save for Web. Works like charm, except, as stated above, you need to rename each time.Which you always do with this ancient dialogue box. This way you also keep your global artboard-wide frame animation setup... Many thanks Rodrigo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rodrigo - a simple and correct solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Thank you for sharing such an elegant solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not call that an elegant solution at all. It's just a solution we have to use because Adobe will not implement something that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way by doing slices (C tool) on my artboards and then Save for web. You still have to remove the empty files and rename others (it doesn't take the artboards names) but you have one animated file for each artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a slight work-around for animated artboards and exporting as animated GIFs.

Step 1 - Hide all Artboards you don't want to be exported. 

Step 2 - Select that artboard, Save for Web (Legacy).

Step 3 - Save for Web 

Step 5 - Turn off that Artboard and switch to the next Artboard you want to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around would be creating all your gifs as normal using the artboard and THEN - you can cut them off - to prevent the "EXTRA" Artboard space, double click to select that particular artboard - then Crop! Or when you save it out on the huge Artboard you can re-open it and crop. Extra step yes, no extra than it would be opening each document anyways if you make them separate. I hate opening up multiple files, exspecially if there is a change. You will have to crop each time, and its not the best option but it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Artboards were added to Photoshop after Save for Web was created. Save for Web uses very old code, so we are lucky that it works with artboards... 

Anyway, the answer is much simpler than you may think... Layer visibility controls what is available in Save for Web!

ab-1.pngab-2.png

This is only workable if the timeline is common for all artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines