• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Photoshop Layer Comps results in duplicate files after using actions to create layer comps

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using actions to speed up my workflow but recently I am getting some unexpected results. When creating layer comps if i enter the names and select layers everything works fine as it should but when I try to automate this that is when I get multiple files of the same name. My action consist of creating a layer comp and making the appropriate layers visible only. And all looks well in the layer comp window but when I go to export I get a file with the filename + _1 & _2 when there should have been only 1 version no duplicate names. Also if I select 5 layer comps to export I will get 5 layer comps just not how I expected for example  A_1, A_2, B_1, B_2, C when it should have read A, B, C, D, E. I have pinpointed the issue to happen after I use the action to create these layer comps. Does anyone have any suggections I would hate to have to create 1k layer comps manually as it will take days where as this method would have taken me a few hours to complete.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not reproduce problem, Everything works fine when creating layer comps using action.

Which version of Photoshop you are running on which platform? Are you using File > Export > Layer Comps to Files to export comps to files?

Can you post some screenshot with Layer Comps panel and Layer Comps to Files dialogue visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running Photoshop 21.2.0 on a macbook pro running Catalina. And yes I am using the layer comp to files export method. All of my layers have links nothing is embeded in photoshop. If you want to try it I have attached the info that may help along with the action I am using for this method.This is the results I get when I export layer compsThis is the results I get when I export layer comps

This is how my layer comp is setup after i run my actionThis is how my layer comp is setup after i run my action

This are my settings for exporting layer compsThis are my settings for exporting layer comps

I have attached the action I am using maybe I missed something when I recorded it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18_VUBoMpuldbwfOVX4rG8471CUxgeZ2q/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the solution is to slow down the action. In the actions window options under playback options set it to anything else other then accelerated. The problem seems to be that the action is processing to fast so slowing it down seem to fix the issue unfortunately it will take a bit longer to process the action but it will work. After the action is done you can export the layer comps which should process just fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not believe too much in that. It looks it is random coming bug. Check again with accelerated action, it should not be problem or it is bug which will affect all users playing similar actions n Photoshop.

By, the way, I have recorded action to create Layer Comps and everything worked just fine. Your action is OK but it does not have intermediate steps to hide/show layers so it can not be checked, although action should not be problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines