Highlighted

EXR Support in Photoshop (General question)

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a general question about EXR support in Photoshop for some documents I am working on.

I am using Photoshop 21 and notice you can open EXR files from the File > Open menu. I've been trying to find which version of Photoshop added this capability.

And which versions will requre the OpenEXR plugin for Photoshop to open EXR files? How far back will that extension be required?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

EXR Support in Photoshop (General question)

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a general question about EXR support in Photoshop for some documents I am working on.

I am using Photoshop 21 and notice you can open EXR files from the File > Open menu. I've been trying to find which version of Photoshop added this capability.

And which versions will requre the OpenEXR plugin for Photoshop to open EXR files? How far back will that extension be required?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i know, photoshop cs2 was the first photoshop version to ship with an EXR file format plugin.

A couple of issues to be aware of:

Photoshop versions earlier than cs2 don't have 32 bits/channel support, all though there are some exr plugins for them, they only open/save in 16 bits/channel.

Photoshop cs2 doesn't support transparency in 32 bits/channel mode as later photoshop versions do.

(non extended versions of photoshop cs3, cs4, cs5 and cs6 don't have as much 32 bits/channel support

as the extended versions do)

The EXR plugin that ships with photoshop doesn't implement all of the features of EXR, so a third party plugin may be required.

https://www.exr-io.com/

https://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Deecey52 LATEST
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, this helps a lot.

Thanks so much.

Denise

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0