Highlighted

External Hard Drive Not Being Recognized as Scratch Disk

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am literally losing my mind with photoshop right now. I have very low storage on my (HP/Windows) laptop and it got harder for me to edit large files on Photoshop. To solve this problem, I bought a 128gb external drive for my computer so I could run that as my primary scratch disk for Photoshop. The drive IS showing up in windows, but no matter what I do it will not show up in PS.

Here's what I have tried: 

- running PS as administrator 
- updating PS 

- restarting my computer 

-changing the drive permissions 

- ejecting and reinserting the drive 

- resetting my PS preferences 

- reformatting drive

If anyone could help me out you would literally be a lifesaver because I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

External Hard Drive Not Being Recognized as Scratch Disk

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am literally losing my mind with photoshop right now. I have very low storage on my (HP/Windows) laptop and it got harder for me to edit large files on Photoshop. To solve this problem, I bought a 128gb external drive for my computer so I could run that as my primary scratch disk for Photoshop. The drive IS showing up in windows, but no matter what I do it will not show up in PS.

Here's what I have tried: 

- running PS as administrator 
- updating PS 

- restarting my computer 

-changing the drive permissions 

- ejecting and reinserting the drive 

- resetting my PS preferences 

- reformatting drive

If anyone could help me out you would literally be a lifesaver because I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct... only internal drives should be used

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it connected?  What build of Windows / Photoshop?

My USB 3.1 raid is used as a scratch disk.  No problems. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's connected through the USB port in my computer. My Windows and Photoshop are both the most updated they can be so whichever the current versions are. I just have an HP USB 3.0 with 128GB that I'm trying to use

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Null.

Sorry.  I was going to suggest that you reset the pref file, but I see you've done that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reformatted the drive, did you try different formats? I forget if a Windows Photoshop scratch drive needs to be a specific format (NTFS, FAT32…).

As a Mac user I've used internal and external drives as Photoshop scratch disks for 20 years, so it works fine either way. The main difference today is that with the speed and affordability of large SSDs over USB 3 or Thunderbolt, external scratch drives can be faster than the internal scratch drives of the past.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! It gave me two options and I tried reformatting to NTFS but to no avail, the drive is currently formatted as NTFS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines