• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyedropper tool selection bug (re: clipping masks)

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling against this bug for about a year now, and I've finally reached the point that it has gone beyond simply a nuisance, and into production-sapping territory. Here's the gist of it:

When I try to color-pick from a layer nested in a group that has adjustment layers set to clip to that group, the color picker will select colors not from the current layer's pixels, but from those belonging to the layers below it.

Repro Steps:

1. create a layer group with multiple layers with art on each

2. create one or more adjustment layers (I don't think type matters, but for repro you might try hue/sat, or levels, as I have below), and set them to clip to the group from step 1.

3. select the topmost layer with art, and attempt to color-pick with the eyedropper tool (Sample Size: Point Sample | Sample: Current and Below) from that layer's pixels. If you are able to repro, it will not select from the current layer, but from the layers below.

The dark green area I am selecting from is on the currently selected layer. Note the lighter-than-current-layer selection

4. Now unclip the adjustment layers, and select from the same point on the topmost layer and it will select the color correctly.

Note the correct selection.

This is behaviour unaffected by the visibility of the adjustment layers, and the bug seems to only be directly influenced by the clipping-mask state change. The bug has survived several setting resets/experiments, so unless it is local to my machine, I assume others are running into this.

Other Details:

Windows 8.1 Pro

File is 8-Bit RGB

On release CC 19.1.5

Anyone able to repro, or have any insights?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you should set your eye dropper to 3x3, not the default point sample. Point sample selects the exact pixel you click on. 3 by 3 will average 9 pixels giving you a better sample. It’s also a tolerance setting for making selections.

I will see if I can reproduce your problem. Change the settings and see if it helps.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not related to any of the user-changeable tool settings, unfortunately. Thanks for giving it a whirl on Mac, but I suspect it is a build-specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I can reproduce it here.

I suggest you raise it as a bug here, where it will be seen by developers:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. Glad I'm not just going crazy over here. I will shoot it over there as well when a get a free moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine works just fine... I can't reproduce you issue, but I'm on a Mac.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Okay, I'm not doing something the same as you, since I'm trying with the same release on Windows but not seeing the problem.  I'm curious, when your Eye Dropper tool is active, what's the Sample set to?  "All Layers" or "Current Layer" or ???

I'm also curious about the EXACT steps that you used to create your file.  I conferred with a colleague and she too is scratching her head.  I'm not seeing the same layer icons you are, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something differently.  Basically, I'm:

1) launch PS

2) new file

3) add a new layer group

4) add three artwork layers within that group

5) add a hue/sat and a level adjustment layer that clips the group -- my icons show the arrow but not the "yin/yang" symbol you've got

Do these steps match your own?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

The "yin yang" you are referring to is the icon for an adjustment layer (at least in my version?), and is the button you use to create such a layer from the layers panel. I'd be curious to see what you're seeing instead; I didn't know there were UI variants on that!

You'll also need to make sure you have something different painted on each of the layers, so that there is something different to sample from for each.

For the eyedropper settings, the sample size does not matter (though I use mine set to "Point Sample"). Sample itself does need to be set to "Current and Below," however, for the bug to repro.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Just in case there is something else I might be missing, here is another layer configuration in which I was able to repro:

All layers are set to normal with 100% opacity. The Group is set to Pass Through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so this is weird. I think imagesize may play a role as well? I made the new file for my previous reply, and after resizing down to 500x500 px, the bug stopped. I then sized back up to 1800x1800, and the bug returned. I decided to try and single out the size threshold for the bug and found that going from 1751x1751 (bug occurring) to 1750x1750 dropped the bug. Perhaps there is a floor of a 1751x1751px image size for the bug to manifest?

Let me know if that changes anything for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David
Thanks for joining in here.

I can also reproduce this bug here - with the same settings as Matt. I am happy to test anything to narrow it down.

I am on Windows 10 Pro (v1803) and using Nvidia GTX1080 driver 398.11

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Matt,

The file size was the "secret sauce" to triggering this (weird) bug.  I can now reproduce this and am logging a bug.  Good catch!  Sorry for the headache.  Hopefully, it'll get fixed soon.

Thanks,

David

p.s. -- this is what my Adjustment Layers icons look like...

layers.gif

Bug # is PS-19754

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, David; thanks for looking into it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ive had this same problems for years. Ever since they added the ability to create cliping mask for groups it bugged out the ey dropper tool. It is beyond annoying having to constantly switch eye dropper modes just to select color when this happens. "Current and below" is notiriously buggy in this situation. I have to switch it to current layer or all layers to select a color on the exactly same layer, prior to making an adjustment layer or making a group clipping mask like in the example you suggested. Please fix this adobe its been 5-7 years this bug has been going

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines