• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feathering not working properly

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years, so I know my way around this tool pretty well. 

I've been using Feathering for almost as long. But today, it appears broken.

I am trying to feather using the refine edge too and I am getting hard edges just beyond the feathered area. This has never happened before and is incredibly frustrating. 

Here's an image with a preview and my settings.

My selection with preview.My selection with preview.

And here's an image where I've deleted the selection. You can see the hard edge.

Final result shows hard edge to the left of the feather.Final result shows hard edge to the left of the feather.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a pic of your layers for your second image? It looks like there is another layer or something in there. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my layers are off, except for the one I am working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I cleared my Photoshop preferences, just in case. But it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can end up with a hard edge if it is the edge of a layer or previously selected with a selection too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the selection tool, but never experience this ever before, and have done this a lot. How am I supposed to otherwise select the area if this is the way it works now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It never looks right on transparency... try putting a solid fill underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem. I don't want a solid fill. I've been doing this for years and never experienced this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, i think you might be onto something here. Even with a white layer below, i'm still seeing a lot of artifacts. Can you test converting your image to 16bit and see if the same problem pops up? You'll need to add some new brush stroke or masking after you convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely helped. I didn't create the original image. It was a stock photo I was editing. Since I had the original layer flattened, I just converted THAT, then went in and removed the area I wanted feathered. That way, I didn't really have to do much editing after the fact. Changing the already feathered image didn't really make much impact at all. Thanks so much for the suggestion. It's much closer to what I expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in your Color Preferences to see if you have Blend RGB using gamma 1.0 active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines