File size error

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have larger file, I just check the file size displayed in the lower left corner. Once again, I was seeing 1.6 GB - and when I wanted to save the file, I got the error message that the file would be bigger than 2 GB and therefore Photoshop would not be able to save it as .psd but as .psb only. It would be very helpful that I would see the real file size in this window - and not have to wait until I get an eror message...

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021
That's unfortunately not possible for a million reasons like different cluster sizes on storage media causing partially occupied sectors which still count against file size or specific adaptive compression and data handling procedures only being able to calculate the outcome once they are actually employed plus the simple fact that a file does not just consist of the actual image data, but also has headers, metadata and structural data around it that also contributes to file size. All PS can tel...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunately not possible for a million reasons like different cluster sizes on storage media causing partially occupied sectors which still count against file size or specific adaptive compression and data handling procedures only being able to calculate the outcome once they are actually employed plus the simple fact that a file does not just consist of the actual image data, but also has headers, metadata and structural data around it that also contributes to file size. All PS can tell you is the "real" size" based on the bytes in memory. it has no concept of these file-related things until it actually tries to save and invokes the necessary functions.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know - too bad – but I have learned that images showing more than 1.5 GB in the dialog will probably have to be saved as .psb. But there is always hope 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That number at the bottom left is the size in memory counting each layer as bytes = horizontal pixels x vertical pixels x 3 (or x6 for 16 bit per channel docs). However smart objects are counted in that displayed number as a single pixel layer at document size, although the content of the smart object could actually be several layers at a different size or even further nested smart objects. That , in addition to the meta data and compression mentioned by Mylenium is why the displayed number does not match saved file size.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines