Highlighted

File size in finder different than file size in Photoshop

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've been using photoshop for years but never thought about this before so I'm hoping someone can explain.

When I look at an image file (jpg, png) in finder it shows as 800kb, then when I open it in photoshop and look at image size it's 10mb. What the heck is going on?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File size in finder different than file size in Photoshop

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've been using photoshop for years but never thought about this before so I'm hoping someone can explain.

When I look at an image file (jpg, png) in finder it shows as 800kb, then when I open it in photoshop and look at image size it's 10mb. What the heck is going on?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one knows? Look at your jpeg in the finder and then check it in photoshop. It's 100x the size. Is it that ps is uncompressing it or something? This is across all macs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the file is decompressed when opening in Photoshop, and it shows you the decompressed size.

The Finder will show you the compressed size on disk.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size on disk is not the same as file size in memory.

Finder shows you the file size on disk which the file takes up after compression. The jpeg file format is very good at reducing the storage requirement of a file and vastly reducing that size, albeit at the expense of losing some image information and adding some artifacts every time you resave it..

Image size shows the size, in bytes of memory, of a single layer and is a simple calculation of the number of pixels (H x W) x 3 for 8 bits /channel images or (H x W) x 6 for 16 bits/channel images.  Note 1 Megabyte = 1048576 bytes

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1