Highlighted

File sizing

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've never quite been able to work out how file sizing works (with all of the variables), despite watching lots of tutorials! I am trying to size my images to the best quality for Etsy (which I'm told can only be 1MB max - or another website states 3000pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall, which I'd therefore like my images to maintain). So I've tried to re-size my images, as jpegs, but at 1MB they just look poor quality. I've also tried to approach it another way - by making a new image through File>New and sizing the correct pixels, but then when I check the image size through Imge>Image Size, it is coming up with between 20 and 27.5 MB, depending on the ppi. I'm so confused about how I should get the best quality image for 1MB....

I've even tried many different ways of reducing the file size whilst maintaining the quality (or so the tutorials state) but every time I've done it and reduced the images down to 1MB from between 5 and 20 odd, the image looks awful - so pixellated. I'm out of ideas now! I hope someone can help please.

Topics

FAQ, How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File sizing

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've never quite been able to work out how file sizing works (with all of the variables), despite watching lots of tutorials! I am trying to size my images to the best quality for Etsy (which I'm told can only be 1MB max - or another website states 3000pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall, which I'd therefore like my images to maintain). So I've tried to re-size my images, as jpegs, but at 1MB they just look poor quality. I've also tried to approach it another way - by making a new image through File>New and sizing the correct pixels, but then when I check the image size through Imge>Image Size, it is coming up with between 20 and 27.5 MB, depending on the ppi. I'm so confused about how I should get the best quality image for 1MB....

I've even tried many different ways of reducing the file size whilst maintaining the quality (or so the tutorials state) but every time I've done it and reduced the images down to 1MB from between 5 and 20 odd, the image looks awful - so pixellated. I'm out of ideas now! I hope someone can help please.

Topics

FAQ, How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 MB is more than sufficient for web images. I prefer to keep file size even lower than that so as not to negatively impact page load speed. 

1. Use File> Export > Export As. 

2. JPG gives you smaller file size and better compression than PNG. 

3. To further reduce file size, move the quality slider down.  See screenshot. 

4. And don't worry about pixelation.  After all, these are web images.   Nobody expects to see print quality images on the web. image.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You appear to be confusing file size, pixel size, and size in computer memory(RAM).

The number you see in Image Size is the pixel requirement in RAM. In an 8 bits/channel image, each pixel takes 3 bytes (1 for red, 1 for blue 1 for green) So your 3000 x 2400 px image will take up 3000 x 2400 x 3 = 21.6MBytes. 

The ppi number does not matter at all whether it is 1 or 1000. It is just used in calculating the printed size and is therefore irrelevant for web use. It has no impact at all on image file size.

The file size on disk can be much smaller depending on how the image is compressed. If you use Save for Web (Legacy) and choose jpeg for the file type you will see the predicted file size underneath the preview image. That 7.2 Mpixel image above that took 21.6 MBytes of RAM should easliy compress to 1MB on disk using jpeg compression - just adjust the quality slider until you find the balance of file size and image quiality that suits your particular image.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1