• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter set like Xaos Tools/Paint Alchemy/Terrazo? [2011]

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have need for some of the effects of Paint Alchemy and especially Terrazo. Does anyone know of an OSX filter set that does what those filters did? I know there was an OSX version available for a while, but now I can't find anything.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Craig

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, how sad. What a fabulous set of tools. It is a shame that Xaos Tools was not co-opted in one of the upgrades of Photoshop.

I looked and waited for an OSX version and I never saw one released. Perhaps they developed one that on a pre_Intel chip and gave up .I just spent a few hundred dollars retooling my old Quicksilver just to use Xaos Tools and the old Kai's Power Tools 3.2 and 2.1.

The kaliedescope feature is the best I ever saw. Honestly it is worth the pain to switch back and forth from OSX>classic>OSX to create the beginnings and definitions and finishes of the kind of art that I am interested in exploring......but.....

Is someone sensing an opportunity here?

Old-Tyme Photoshoppe Filtre Set for the Discerning and Erudite Designer.

Permanent victims of digital nostalgia.

What ever happened to Angie Jones from Atari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost all the links on the tesselation.com website are hopelessly out-of-date. Perhaps some enterprising iPad developer will stumble across this thread and see an opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kali and others are still available thru the links to Jeff Webb's website. You may find more if you google tessellation.

Gary

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:59:52 -0600

To: garyhoov@msn.com

Subject: Filter set like Xaos Tools/Paint Alchemy/Terrazo?

Almost all the links on the tesselation.com website are hopelessly out-of-date. Perhaps some enterprising iPad developer will stumble across this thread and see an opportunity.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter Forge is a Photoshop plugin tool that allows you to create your own filters or lets you download ones written by others and posted to the Filter Forge site.   You could download the trial version and see if it does what you want.

This page gives examples that do things very similar to what Xaos' Terrazzo used to do. 

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/search.html?q=kaleidoscope&h=r

Many of my pictures use tools from Filter Forge and while I miss Terrazzo, I found it very lititing.  In addition to the floppy disks I also got the Xaos t-shirt!

Tom Gore | Photographer

[personal info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the original Xaos Tools Disc for Windows. It works only with Photoshop 7 since the company stopped updating and then finally just went

out of business.

here's the link to download. the link is only good for a couple of weeks.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUd2TkFnNDQ1bmhFQlE9PQ

it contains the Serial Numbers too so you can use the full version of it.

Dee Dee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dee Dee,

Thanks for the link.

I'm not on Windows and I'm not running it in emulation either. Also,

I don't know if I could even get PS 7 on either platform.

But thanks for trying to help.

It's too bad, I really liked the filter set.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have put the  Total Xaos filter set in a folder that should not expire. it includes the Terazzo filter.

send me thank you notes

[personal info removed]

Dee Dee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All

I was co-founder of Xaos and author of original PaintAlchemy ( any many other) agorithms. I no longer have any ownership of the Xaos Tools software base ( which is, of course, quite obsolete) That being said, I would be interested in hearing about what would be the appetite for Paint Alchemy-like software today, especially on new platforms like the iPad. I have a number of extensions of the original concept as well as clean-room implementations. Although I am involved in another venture, if there were sufficent interest out there, something might be possible.

Unfortunately, I was not responsible for the Terazzo code base - so cannot be of any help there.

best - Michael Tolson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,Thanks.  But I'm not much of painter and so didn't take advantage of Paint Alchemy when I had it, just Terrazzo.  I wish you good luck on your ventures.

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an avid user (and former beta tester) of many of Xaos' tools, I still keep an old SGI box gathering dust in our studios just so I can use Pandemonium for some cool dissolves and effects. I also keep an older mac alive for using Terrazzo and Paint Alchemy. I think the effects that these packages generate are still unique and very flexible, and still look great today. So my vote would be to modernize the interfaces a bit and re-release these packages under OsX, (which seems to be finally gaining the market share it mostly deserves).

Paint Alchemy and its animatable cousin Pandemonium would be my strong choice for resurrection.

Best - Toby Welles www.wowhouse.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you, but who is going to update these apps? I called the folks at Xaos many times over the years to encourage them to update their apps; but in the end, they simply closed up shop. What to do? To this day, I've never found another app to replace Terrazzo. I still have an old 12" powerbook G4 that I keep primarily to run Terrazzo and Adobe Type Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too have tried many times to light a fire under their underzealous butts, but apparently the code is gone, so they would have to start afresh. but hell with a template of the pre-existing software they have a head start. Please, Dave Tolson take up the baton and run with it.

- Toby Welles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just wanted to register my own plea for resurrection of Terrazzo. I really miss it, and if it came back I would talk it up to all my contacts.

~Louise M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was co-founder of Xaos and author of original PaintAlchemy ( any many other) agorithms."

I just came online looking for information about these filters which were among my favorites way back in the times of PS3. Yeah haha. idiotype I probably met you at a MacWorld once upon a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what I'd also love to see is Second Glance Chromassage, but maybe I'll start another thread on that topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Xaos Tools with Paint Alchemy and Terrazzo 2 working in PSCS4.. I remember I ran into an email address on a forum many years ago for someone selling the upgrade to work with OSX... It was odd, it was a gentleman's name ( I wish I would have kept it). I believe I did to to the Xaos site to download tho..Not sure... The date on my software says 1996  .It was not being advertised at the time and I was so surprised by that. But it is still working in CS4 Mac OSX 10.5.8   I haven't upgraded to an intel machine yet, about to, so not sure if it will work on an intel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just occurred to me that I still have a functional pre-intel Mac. I wonder if I still have the Terrazzo disk around anywhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would someone like to post a small sample of what these plug-ins can do?  (Just curious)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I threw together a quick, small, crappy (old PS automated), gallery of some Terrazzo tiles.

http://www.pacificimageworks.com/terrazzo_gallery/

These are all downsampled from larger images. The original tiles have quite a lot of detail, part of what I like about Terrazzo.

I can't post the original images but some of the tiles are from landscape photos, some are from photos that I hammered pretty hard with filters (including Paint Alchemy), and some are from close-up shots of a Dual 741 turntable that I photographed to help sell on eBay.

I hope you can get a sense of the Terrazzo functionality. I'm still able to run it if I launch PS CS, any newer version won't work (in my experience).

Craig (OP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are pretty wonderful, Craig; thanks for posting them. They make me even more determined to find a way to still use Terrazzo.

~~Louise M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craig cheatham wrote:

I threw together a quick, small, crappy (old PS automated), gallery of some Terrazzo tiles.

Thank you for posting these!  The examples range from realistic looking floor tiles to kaleidoscope-like reflections of recognizable objects - very impressive!  Now we non-Terrazzo users know what we are missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real power of Terrazzo is realized when you tile these kaleidoscopic reflections into elaborate patterns. Here's one example. I wouldn't know how to do this kind of work without Terrazzo. I've held onto my old powerbook G4 solely for the purpose of running the last version of Photoshop that is compatible with the last version of Terrazzo. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing even remotely similar out there in this day and age; but if it exists, I haven't seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting your example!  There's a free plug-in that creates simple kaleidoscopic images (for Windows, apparently not for Mac), but it doesn't have too many options to change the design: http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/kaleidoscope.htm

Example before and after view:

Capture6.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Craig has posted some fine Terrazzo images, Thanks Craig, so I'll post some Paint alchemy images: http://web.me.com/twelles/Site_3

I just grabbed a random image that was on my old old mac that has been hibernating for many moons. I'm really just scratching the surface with these images. I used to use this plug in primarily for doing artwork of backgrounds for other imagery. Once you learn how it works it's addicting. I just can't believe how I used to be happy on a machine that slow though, Wheww, I almost started taking up knitting to pass the time. A fuller description is on the quick site I put up for this.

Check out these apps if this is a realm that interests you. They are both very cool.

Vectoraster  http://www.lostminds.com/content/show_product.php?id=vectoraster4

Studio Artist http://synthetik.com

Toby Welles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tobiwon wrote:

Hi All,

I'll post some Paint alchemy images

Thank you for this and for the other links!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines