• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First time attempting to use Photoshop, nothing works

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to get Photoshop open and use it and nothing will work - including closing Photoshop. I get an error. I have no preferences set, and Photoshop is up to date according to Creative Cloud (version 22.0.0 release).

Things I've attempted to do and have failed with the same error: 

- Make a new project

- Import a jpg and png

- Close Photoshop

- Uninstall and reinstall Photoshop through Creative Cloud

- Reset all preferences in Photoshop and restarted (through end task because I can't close Photoshop normally once it's open)

Dustin5E3A_0-1604344776107.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Try unticking Use Graphics Processor under the Performance tab in Photoshop preferences.

Also to reset your Photoshop prefrences, when you can't launch the application try this:

1) Close Photoshop
2) Double click on Adobe Photoshop icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete Photoshop Preference Files?” Click Yes.

If you don't see the question do it again.

If none of these thing work try this:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about this and wondering if it could be a hardware related issue. I'm running the most recent Win10 update, have several TB of storage and 64GB of RAM but I have a super old GPU. Illustrator doesn't seem to have a problem with it but maybe Photoshop does? It would be preferable if there were more helpful error messages, if possible. 

Any idea if a GPU that doesn't work with Photoshop would present this type of problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unticking Use Graphics Processor under the Performance tab in Photoshop preferences.

Also to reset your Photoshop prefrences, when you can't launch the application try this:

1) Close Photoshop
2) Double click on Adobe Photoshop icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete Photoshop Preference Files?” Click Yes.

If you don't see the question do it again.

If none of these thing work try this:

Unistall Photoshop, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall Photoshop again. If that doesnt solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling Photoshop again.

Here's a link to Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay Derek, it's been a long week haha. 

Unchecking the use GPU did the trick. The cryptic error has been deciphered. Many thanks for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has changed requirements and there are issues hera a link  known issues. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the trick, the Use GPU was the problem. Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See GPU min-requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Unsupportedgraphicscards

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I'm no where close to that. Thanks for your help Nancy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines