Highlighted

Fixed: Can't Edit Text/Type tool problems with Photoshop 22.0

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got the Photoshop update this morning, and the type tool is having issues. When I click in a text frame, it doesn't show the frame and I can't highlight the text. I can still edit the text, but there's no visual indicator of where the cursor is, where the frame is, etc.

Anyone else having this issue, and is there any kind of fix? I have to use text frequently in the graphics I create, and not being able to see where I'm working is going to be a pain.

[Moderator Note: Updated title, PS-57130]

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.0.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top users reported issues. Check out the list of all fixed issues here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

To update Photoshop to 22.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

For help with updating, see Update Creative Cloud apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mohit

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fixed: Can't Edit Text/Type tool problems with Photoshop 22.0

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got the Photoshop update this morning, and the type tool is having issues. When I click in a text frame, it doesn't show the frame and I can't highlight the text. I can still edit the text, but there's no visual indicator of where the cursor is, where the frame is, etc.

Anyone else having this issue, and is there any kind of fix? I have to use text frequently in the graphics I create, and not being able to see where I'm working is going to be a pain.

[Moderator Note: Updated title, PS-57130]

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.0.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top users reported issues. Check out the list of all fixed issues here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

To update Photoshop to 22.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

For help with updating, see Update Creative Cloud apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mohit

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 20, 2020 28
112 Replies 112
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud just updated my Adobe Apps to version 2021. I'm on a Mac, running Catalina. I just tried to edit a text on a Photoshop file I have, and selecting a text was absolutely imposible. The cursor never appears and selecting text the way we're used to do it, just dragging the cursor over a type layer, is not working. Can you please get this situation fixed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 4
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EAcosta,

Sorry about text editing not working for you in Photoshop. Have a few questions and suggestions for you:

Give those suggestions a try and let us know how it goes for you.

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete:

First, I disabled the GPU on Preferences - Performance, closed PS, reopened and that corrected the problem.

I must say I thought that would not be necesarry, because my MacMini is brand new, with a GPU running on Metal, but I did it and it worked out.

I let it like that for a few days and today, I enabled GPU again, modify some parameters on Advanced Settings, closed PS, reopened it and Voilá!, it worked again perfectly. Don't really know what could've happened initially.

Thanks for your quick response.

• I have disabled the GPU, closed PS, and reopened. This corrected the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues and restarted Photoshop and my mac, but it still is no change. I haven't unchecked the GPU setting yet, but I did try creating a new document. There were no issues and worked as it should, so it only occurs with previously created files, at least for me, that is. I can't view the cursor or what text is selected. I thought it didn't select the text, but I realized it did; it just isn't visible. The selections are also selected partly on different lines because after I typed, only part of the text got replaced.Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 10.43.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 10.44.31 PM.png

macOS Catalina

Version 10.15.7 (19H2)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB / Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who can tell why this version of photoshop has got issues like this?!!!

Also my neural filters don't work.

but , but , but now it's the most important issue for me that the text selection won't show.

what a mess

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy EAcosta,

Hey, could you tell us a little bit more about your file, your setup, etc?  I ask because I can't seem to reproduce what you're seeing.  Are you seeing this with all files?  All text?  Are you able to create new text layers in documents?  Can you edit existing ones?  A screenshot would be quite handy.

Thanks,
David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having this issue too when adding new text to a PSD file. Have restarted several times but get the spinning wheel when I go to add text into a document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me as well. All files, new and old. No cursor showing up. No, restarting PS and the computer did not help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Lukas,

Are your files RGB or CMYK or LAB or something else?

Thanks,
David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the above. Doesn't show if I change image mode colors. 

I did find this worked from another thread: 

Turning off "Use Graphics Processor" worked on my end. After I deselected that option the text cursor starting showing up.

Photoshop version 22.0.0

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue I've had too. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you updated PS, did you select to import the previous preferences? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same, 

I put "use GPU" of under preferences--> performance and hit OK.

Then i put it back on

rebooted Photoshop

and voila, it works.

hope it will do the same for you 2,

Regards

Steven

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was mistaken, 

if i make a new document and make a textfield, 

close the new document, 

go back to an old document with a textfield that didnt work propoly,

it will work now.

BUT

if i dublicate the textfield, it will behave differently, it doesnt show the textfield edges, and selecting text is not possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and it works but I noticed a lower graphics quality.
For the moment I have installed the old version again.
Hope the bug will be fixed.

Thank you Steven!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the trick on Win 10 20H2 and PS version 22.

Disable GPU, restart PS, re-enable GPU and text editing is back to normal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, it's work now perfect. Thanks Jedrzejdec! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this on Win10, PSv.22. No joy. Did not work. Text editing still not functioning normally, even after reboot and reset of preferences. No highlighting, no insertion point. This is true whether in an existing document or a new document; existing type layer or in a new type layer.

This needs to be fixed ASAP as this is standard functionality for PS!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since I've updatet to the new version! A bug, which Adobe should fix asap!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What StevenSe96 wrote above (I put "use GPU" of under preferences--> performance and hit OK.) helped me too!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing. Text is unselectable - i mean it is, but i cant see selection or where the type marker currently is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem. Selecting "Use Graphics Processor" in Preferences doesn't do anything for me as it was already selected

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. Latest update is really giving me a headache between this and sign in issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonlin Creative,

Sorry about text editing not working for you in Photoshop. Have a few questions and suggestions for you:

Let us know if any of these suggestions help out.

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete.Green,

In answer to your questions:

• I'm using Windows 10
  • The type tool appears to work properly in a new document.
  • Restarting Photoshop didn't help, nor did restarting my computer.
  • Resetting preferences didn't fix it.

So it's basically a problem with existing files, and none of the easy fixes work. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found another tidbit of information.

The problem comes up when using the type tool on a CMYK file. So if I create a new document in CMYK, the type tool doesn't work. If I create a new document in RGB, it does.

Unfortunately, essentially all of my files are CMYK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonlin, 

Thanks for providing more info. This does seem to affect CMYK images, and one suggestion is to try disabling the video card (GPU) aceleration and then see if you get text edit function back in your CMYK docs. 

See Disable the GPU to quickly narrow down the issue

Let me know how that goes for you.

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that solved the issue, but of course noticeably decreased Photoshop's performance. I'll look at the troubleshooting tips in that link you shared and see how that works. I just got this computer a few weeks ago, so it should be fairly up to date, but I'll look into it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good, if it's a newer machine, you might be best served with a GPU driver update (Go directly to NVIDIA or AMD's page for the latest driver).

Alternatively, if your system has TWO GPUs in it (Intel and other discrete card), you may want to disable the onboard card. See Step 7 of the troubleshooting steps at the above article for this.

Let me know how either of those steps serve you.

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my driver from NVIDIA and it's still not working correctly. The driver was just released today, so that's about as up-to-date as you can get. 🙂

Any other suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep learning more and more about the problem as I work. It also depends on zoom level. If I click in a text frame and start zooming in, the text box with the handles, etc. starts showing up, and I can see it if I highlight the text.

I don't know if that info helps, but it's interesting at least.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a problem that started with PS 2019 and affected the cursor in general not appearing when working in a CMYK file. I would have thought that would have been fixed by now, but maybe not. Suggest that before you open your CMYK file, make a RGB file and open it (can be blank, just as long as it's an RGB file). Then switch over to your CMYK file. Hopefully it will work for you at that point.

Glenn

Glenn

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Glenn. Unfortunately, that's not working for me.

I never had this issue until today's update. If others had it in previous versions, it wasn't affecting me until today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Can't see the cursor and the textblock frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Deactivating GPU shows the frames and cursor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with the latest release. My computer uses a GTX 970. As stated above, switching from CMYK to RGB seems to solve it. I am currently redownloading the older version until this is fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it's worth, my computer uses an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (notebook).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in Mac OS, switching from CMYK to RGB did "fix" it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm having the same problem. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/editing-text-is-impossible-in-the-october-2020-release/td-p...
  • Which version of Windows are you using? Win 10 ver 20H2
  • Can you let us know if it works for you in a new document? Same problem.
  • Are you able to create a new document and add Type layers? Same problem.
  • Does restarting Photoshop, or your computer help? Neither helped. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop.
  • For strange behavior like this, it can be helpful to reset the Photoshop preferences. Problem persists.
  • I have disabled the GPU, closed PS, and reopened. This corrected the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EACosta,

Would you mind going to the Preferences for Photoshop, then Performance and disable the option to Use Graphics Processor. Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps.

If it helps, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrouble...

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click into text, the cursor is not visible. If I drag to select, the selection is not highlighted. Because it's unclear where the cursor is or what has been selected, editing text is a nightmare.

2020-10-21_6-46-16.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. That workaround resolved the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solution; NORMALEkran Alıntısı.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 4
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 1
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-enabled GPU, set the mode to "normal", and that seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me on a Windows desktop machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that may have fixed mine on a Windows 10 machine. Thanks man.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0