• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Dragging layers between files is not working in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop of layers between files is not working.

I'm dragging a layer from an RGB file to a CMYK one and it's not working.

It used to be in past versions.

I'm on the latest version:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.1 20200716.r.265

Mac OS Catalina latest version: 10.15.6

Anyone knows how to fix?

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-51596}

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»How to turn off tabs, when it's essential for your workflow?«

What kind of workflow would that be? 

And an aside I wonder who changed the post starting with »WHY IS THIS THREAD MARKED AS "SOLVED"« to start with »ALMOST A MONTH LATER, THIS PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED.« but kept the capitalisation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> What kind of workflow would that be? 

Every workflow, which need multiple files open and copying or duplicating elements to other open documents. The "drag and drop to tab"-function is an usefully and very comfortable one. PS is not only for using one document at a time... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can work with multiple open documents without tabs fine – a matter of taste, I guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with consolidated tabs. Glad to know that Adobe is working on the issue and I hope it is resolved quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue. My Photoshop is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  You used to be able to drag a layer up to the tab of another open document and it would switch to that doc and you could "drop" the layer into the new doc.  Hasn't worked in about 2 weeks for me.  Assuming an update "broke" it.  On a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.15.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, finally it works (again)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this issue as well within Update 21.2.2. I don't think it was fixed. I have tried changing administrator mode on and off, but nothing works so far. Yesterday just as I was waiting to get on the phone with Adobe support on the subject, it started randomly working again, so after testing restarts and what not with it still working, I ended the call... and then it stopped working again with no explanation. Very confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update solved it for me, but it also brought me some other problems,... verry annoying....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have purchased by error the app that I don't need please can you help for refund

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only customer service can do it. here it is a community forum, nobody appointed… just helpers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have purchased by error the app that I don't need please can you help
for refund--
Contacts Us;
[private data removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Call 1800-102-5567. If you need technical assistance or customer service, please contact Adobe Support.

2) Call 800-443-8158. (Now accepting POs.) If you need technical assistance or customer service, please contact Adobe Support.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/contact.html

Information Source Credit - Employment Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really disappointed , i miss old versions, dealing with lots of bugs and wasting my time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to stop wasting your time you could start by actually describing the problems you are experiencing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue and none of the solutions are working : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the two files you're having trouble dragging layers between along with instructions on which layers are causing a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this recent incident, one of them was RGB and the other was in CMYK mode. However I've been using Photoshop for over ten years and have never seen the message as frequently as I have been in the last month. I'm on a Mac (Catalina 10.15.7) with two monitors which i think is contributing to the issue. Using Photoshop version 22.5.1

If I encounter it again without the color mode being the culprit I'll try to post something but my work is under NDA's and involves licensed materials that isn't meant to be shared anywhere. I have a suggestion. If the issue is color mode it should say that's the issue, not that the document is the same as the one I'm trying to drag a layer into. It's not reflective of the actual reason you cannot drag in that instance. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do figure it out, you can dummy up a set of files by saving without the original pixel data (fill the layer with a gradient/solid color) to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm having same issue, dragging a layer from one unlocked psd to another and all I get is color wheel turning and frozen... I have to hit escape to get out.. I also.... 

We have a landing... as I was typing this the layer drag completed! Took about 5 minutes though.... no bueno...

I have latest update, ver 23.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't take five minutes but are these both large files? Do you have enough RAM/drive space? I frequently drag layers between files on both Mac Monterey and Windows 10 Pro and haven't seen this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 1.5 TB on drive where I store PSD's, as far as ram, 32gb (24gb usable), dragging from a 2gb doc to a 450mb document.

I just opened Photoshop, then opened the exact same docs, and dragged an image file from the 2gb doc to the 450mb doc and its froze up for a few minutes, I just checked right now and layer is visible. It seems to be working now, no delay dragging layers. no clue whats going on..... I may have to clean out some drives and reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the main issue was fixed a time ago. It depends on "what" you are draging from document A to B. Different color specs or complex layer structures need time converting from one to other. From my opinion there's a difference from dragging and "duplicating" layers from one to other document/workspace. Try duplicating layers/groups instead of dragging - works for me much better. Prepare things from document A before dragging/duplicating to document B like rasterizing images, changing color specs (i.e. from CMYK to RGB), less layer smart effects (they take much of calculating time) and also pixel dimensions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines