• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Photoshop 2020 File name bug when saving a replacement of an existing file

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej! The old photoshop behaviour used to be that when you save to overwrite an existing file it asks you to confirm that you want to replace it, you say yes, and the old file gets overwritten. In the latest version if you click "replace" it still does not replace the file, but adds "copy of" text at the end after the fact without any way to not do that. Please give us an option to have the old behaviour, or change it back to how it used to be by default.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not seeing the issue here with Photoshop 20.0.7 on Windows 10, save replaces the file as normal with the same name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have mentioned it is on OSX Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop, version 20.0.7 update has a number of fixes, one of which was related to saving files on Catalina

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is version 20.0.7, which fixed the file name ending bug, but not the file replacement bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report bugs over on the Adobe Feedback Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I have two bug reports.... 🙂

I tried to sign in to that forum, it pops up the Photoshop family sign in, it accepts my signing in and says "You have successfully signed in. You may now close this window.", but then I have to sign in again. I also tried with the Facebook sign in, same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested and I was able to sign in without issue

2019-10-25 10_38_18-Photoshop _ Photoshop Family Customer Community.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 11.54.42.pngScreenshot 2019-10-25 at 11.54.53.png

First I get the "sucessfully signed in", and when I close it the dialogue below is still visible. Using Chrome on OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Apple Safari.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES !  We have that same problem, my colleague and I.

Both Catalina and both with the latest CC updates.

I will report it as suggested below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe as well and they told me that I just need to wait for the next Photoshop update which should eliminate this issue.  Until then, we just have to deal with it I guess.  There was no timeframe as to when it will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop version 21.0 and the bug is still there (on OSX 10.15.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 21.0.2 and the bug is still there.

Example:

Save a file as myfile.jpg

Try to save the file again as myfile.jpg, and it saves it as myfile copy.jpg

Now, try and save it a third time as myfile.jpg, this time it saves no file at all, since myfile copy.jpg already exists.

I want it to save the file as myfile.jpg every time like in the old versions of Photoshop.

(I tried to post on the thread that Alison created for bug reporting, but I am still unable to log in there despite using the correct login. It says "you are now logged in and can close the window", but I am not logged in... anyway, fixing this save bug is more important than this problem with logging in to the bug report forum.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a PSD file and done a save as JPEG file, which works fine the first time.  However when I edit the PSD and try and resave the JPEG it also creates a copy of the JPEG file.  To say this is annoying is an understatement.  Is this a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is save As a copy checked?

Annotation 2019-10-31 082514.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but greyed out.  But that's been the case forever when saving a PSD as a JPEG.  But now it saves copy after copy after copy, rather than overwriting the existing JPEG already saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sounds like you're on MacOS Catalina if so it's a known issue and has been reported more info

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/File-name-bug-when-saving-a-replacement-of-a-an-existing-fi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, I am... But I was led to believe 20.0.7 fixed this issue.  Have had to revert to 20.0.6 until another fix is released.  One would think their software engineers would be a little more thorough in the checking of their fixes, to ensure their fixes don't cause new bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue that was fixed in version 20.0.7 was "Checking "As a copy" does not append “copy” to the file name"

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Upgrading to a new MacOS has always been troublesome with Photoshop among other apps, it was the same when Mojave came out, Adobe fixed an issue that Apple caused only for Apple to brake it again with another update to Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fair enough, it happens will all OS updates but correct me if I'm wrong, software developers have access to these OS changes way before release, so it's fair to assume they can bug hunt BEFORE release, or is it just left up to the people who's livelihoods rely on stable software to identify the problem?  

When saving from PSD to a flat file format, Save as Copy is ticked and greyed out, giving us NO CONTROL of the problem. And as far as I'm aware, 20.0.7 fixed the issue where the file extension was not changed when selecting a different format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well updating to 2020 did the square root of bugger all with this problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same probklem since upgrade. Very problematic when working with Indesign - automatic update of links don't work. As a book and magazine designer, this is my staple. Its like going back to Quark days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines