• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Zoom/Pan very slow in Photoshop v22.3 on macOS

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to 22.3, panning around and especially zooming has a severe lag attached to it; it sometimes takes multiple seconds to finish zooming after I let go of the trackpad. All other features are working fine, like before the update.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Or/and have any solutions?

13-inch Macbook Pro Early 2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

{ Moderator Note: Thread title edited, PS-63413 }

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should help with this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html 

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I also checked the RAM usage; Photoshop used around 1.6 GB when I checked, and I have the maximum RAM usage set to 4096 MB. My machine was never anywhere near 100% RAM usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here. on the new m1 macbook pro 8gb of ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also killing my flow...and my buzz... please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I was using the clone stamping tool and the healing brush tool and the lag was insane. I dropped back to a previous version for a temporary fix.

I also turned off  "clone source>show overlay" which I know causes major lag.

It's unfortunate because I still find that Photoshop CS6 performs the best for what I do (which is high end photography retouching). I frequently want to get with the times of CC's new releases but CS6 consistently out performs 2017 and beyond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Summary: Moving around a zoomed-in image in Photoshop is suddenly extremely laggy.

Here's a video of it in action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzrzy2a3a2m95ho/photoshop%20lagging%20zoomed%20panning.mov?dl=0

Details: Running Photoshop 22.3.0 and Bir Sur on my iMac Pro with 128GB of RAM. In the last week I noticed an extreme slowdown in moving around a zoomed-in image. The movement is slow enough to drive one crazy quickly and once I start the movement I need to wait for it to finish and it can take up to 30 second. Esc is no help. I had the previous version of Photoshop running with this issue and hoped last week when I updated to 22.3.0 that it would stop. No luck there. 

My workaround has been having to go from whole image (command+0) to selecting a specific part of the image I want to zoom to (zoom tool). It's frustrating because I usually want to shift a few hundred pixels at a time but now I have to zoom out to the full image first. This method also doesn't work when doing an involved lasso selection where I rely on the image to properly pan when I near the edge. Ugh, any suggestions apprecicated... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen this, but doesn't seem to cover my issue. I'm running a fully loaded iMac Pro with Apple's own RAM. Not using a gaming mouse and otherwise all system are a-go and working well. 

It does seem to point to a possible graphics card issue which I hope to be able to investigate further in Safe Mode (to see if it's hardware vs. softare) once I have a big Time Machine backup complete. 

My graphics specs: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check GPU option... In Preferences/Performance

With the bestestest wishes! )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Macbook Pro's preference to toggle "Automatic graphics switching" in System Prefs > Energy Saver? 

If not let me know how I can do this exactly. I'm operating an iMac Pro desktop.

Thanks for your help and input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I meant in Photoshop - top menu bar - Photoshop/Preferences/Performance

With the bestestest wishes! )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, right. I toggled Use Graphics Processor, without luck. 

However I did another restart before really jumping into trouble shooting with Safe Mode, etc. -- and miraculously the issue disapeared. Maybe it's possible to Performance preferences didn't take hold until I restarted. Or maybe it was an isolated bug, i don't know but extremely grateful it fixed itself. 

Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!!

when moving through an image on photoshop while workin gon it zoomed as i move across the image on my pad the image on screen takes a while to catxh up..

this has only just started.

new hard drive and 1 year on mac book pro..

help?

lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is freezing & running slow while using the Zoom tool on your MacBook Pro.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance menu, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

If you're using the latest version of Photoshop 22.3. This issue has been logged as a bug and our product team is working on a fix for it. In the meantime, you may roll back to a previous version of Photoshop as a workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Regards,
Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey
thanks for advice but it didnt help.

lee

--
LEE MALONE
Mobile : +44 - 7708416280
WEB : LEE MALONE STUDIO
Instagram : Lee Malone Studio

representation : THE KOOP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation here, I have:

MacBook Pro 2019 16' (6-core i7)

16gbRam

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Catalina 10.15.7

I have both Versions on PS working on that exact same computer:

Photoshop 2021 22.3.0 => DOES NOT Zoom or Pan in a real-time responsive manner, it lags terribly, and everything happens as if it was buffering and 'replaying' every movement. Very hard to work this way. 

Photoshop 2020 21.2.6 => WORKS just fine. No issues on anything.

Clearly there is something that the newer version introduced that is not playing well with either hardware acceleration or maybe it's assuming a different core (M1 vs Intel) but it is very drastic. I am surprised this not being a "known issue" by now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the delay while zooming or panning in Photoshop on your MacBook Pro.

This issue has been logged as a bug and our product team is working on a fix for it.
In the meantime, you may roll back to a previous version of Photoshop as a workaround: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive waited a few weeks now for a similar thread to be answered.🤔

my zoom in/out function is currently incredibly slow. i am up to date with all updates. is it just me or has photoshop team gone lockdown. its a most frustrating bug and i would appreciate a kindly reply. thank you.🥰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 22.3 is freezing while using the Zoom tool on your MacBook Pro.

Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance menu, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

This has been logged as a bug and our product team is working on a fix for it. In the meantime, you may roll back to a previous version of Photoshop as a workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Regards,
Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Akash. that box is already unticked. i see its a bug with a fix in progress. so i just have to be patient. i am retired and cannot be bothered rolling backwards either. thank you for replying.🥰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with a MacBook Pro 2013...

At least it work normaly with an older version of photoshop...

Thank you 

Have a nice day 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it's extremely frustrating. When will this be fixed? Here's a video I recorded of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to point out that I've noticed this only when "pinch zooming" and panning.  If I hold Z and stroke the touchpad its very fast and clean.  So this is not a zooming and panning specific issue... 

PSHOP's got some deeper trauma...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using MacBook Pro2019 with  i9 but I have same problem when I using trackpad... 

Zoom in and out killing when I want to work with just Mac without Wacom or mouse... 

My PS version is 22.3. I hope they fix this soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should help with this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html 

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines