Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flatten Vector layers

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

This is my first time posting a question on this site.

I'm currently illustrating a book for a friend of mine and we would like to use Vector based images using Adobe photoshop (I don't have Adobe Illustrator.). 

The images are simple black and white instructional pictures.

After I create an image using vector tools, (Curvature pen tool, Shapes tool, etc.) I have multiple layers. My current image is about 59 layers.

When I'm satisfied with the image, is it possible to combine all the layers into one image that is still a vector image without rasterizing them so i can send them easier/ smaller file?

Also, if I want to save them in a seperate file with all the layers, (so i can edit further) should I save as a pdf file?

I ask because it seems to take an extremely long time to save a simple image this way and i dont have that kind of time. 

Any and all advise is appreciated.

This is my first time illustrating anything.

Thanks 

Jeremy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging vector layers in PS is tricky. Depending on how the vector layers are drawn will determine if they can be combined without problems. Strokes are an issue, as they will combine oddly. You can try and duplicate the file and see if it works, but with that many layers, I'm doubting that it will be successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are making a huge effort for yourself by not having the right tools. As a first time illustrator especially. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Test_Screen_Name

I'm used to pen and paper drawing, so i felt a Wacom tablet would be beneficial.

I recently purchased a medium Intuos Pro tablet.

I know it will be a learning curve going from paper to digital, but i want to put in the effort. 

What other tools do you feel would make this task easier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you can merge Shape layers the merges layer shaped will be new so layers styles that existed in the layered version are lost for the layers no longer exists, The new merge shape layer has a combined vector mast so if layers had different shape pate stroke color the combined shape will only have a single color possible for the merger shape path and interior path segments are not stroked. There is also a single shape fill. So if the layered version had different shape fill one layers fill wins.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines