• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flatten, why do I have to flatten jpgs NOW to save them?

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I open up a jpg, do some simple editing (crop, darken, lighten) and then when I click to save, a dialog box opens (windows explorer) and asks me to save as a .psd and shows some very strange jpg extensions too. So for me to save as a .jpg,  I have to flatten it then save it as a jpg. that has never happened before. I know that when I am working in layers I have to flatten but not for a normal image, what is going on? Is this a glitch in my system or a software issue? I also import the images from Lightroom as .NEF and then export to Photoshop (PS) as jpg.

I have been using PS since 1995 so I am experianced with the software, I have updated PS also. This is crazy, on the early verison of PS, everything works fine. I also open other images and do not have this issue, starting to think it might be a media card issue. If there is any help or advice please share. 

(update) I added a link to the video please view and you will understand.

PS version: 21.0.02

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

»Delete Cropped Pixels« seems to be unchecked in the Options Bar for the Crop Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot including the Layers Panel. 

What are the Crop Tool settings in the Options Bar? (Edit: In particulr with regard to »Delete Cropped Pixels«.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded a video check it out please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Delete Cropped Pixels« seems to be unchecked in the Options Bar for the Crop Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, THANK YOU SO MUCH! How in the world did that get unchecked, yea operator error lol. Hey, thanks some much easy fix. I need to pay more attention to detail lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess many people working with Photoshop for a while have experienced similar issues. 

In the case of unintended tool behaviour (in this case having the Criop Tool changing the Background Layer to a regular Layer) the Options Bar is usually a good place to start looking for a »culprit«. 

Flat-out Resetting the Tool altogether is another option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I also import the images from Lightroom as .NEF and then export to Photoshop (PS) as jpg.«

Why do you accumulate compression damage to the images by jpg-ing them before editing them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always done it this way: Import to LR, edit and then export to a folder as .jpg. Then if for some reason I need to resize, as in the video I uploaded, I do that in PS. Once I complete my edit in PS, I then hit "save" but as you can see I have to flatten the image before saving which I have never had to do before. This is my issue, not how to save or why I am saving there seems to be a glitch or something and wondering if this is a computer issue or a PS thing or is it ME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s entirely up to you as long as the results meet your requirements. 

But be aware that jpg-compression is lossy and therefore starting with a jpg and saving as jpg again will increase the amount of damage (even if it may not become percetible in most cases). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reiterate what @c.pfaffenbichler is saying, for anyone who doesn't know it, JPEG compression generation loss diminishes picture quality pretty quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your crop tool is probably set to not delete the cropped pixels. That will change the background into a layer.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup that was it lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol yup still don't know how I missed it lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add layers and use save photoshop will switch to "save as" and default to a layered file type like PSD.  You can use the file type pull-down and switch to Jpeg. A flat jpeg file will be saved. The docyment In photoshop will remain layered.  Instead of  using save you could have use save as and switch to jpeg to begin with.  If you flatten the document when you use "Save" Photoshop will save over the document's current backing jpeg file for the document is flat. It because you added layers photoshop switches "Save" to "Save As..." which has a dialog. "Save" has no dialog.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, I know all that, but my issue is very different. You have a lot of knowledge, I can tell, and I wish you could view this first hand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the image edits that you are using must have changed in the current version such that it triggers saving as a layered PSD file when it did not in the prior versions.

Have you thought about settting custom keyboard shortcut to do Layers > Flatten in order ot resave directly back to JPEG?  (Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts...)

PS2020 Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus Dialog BoxPS2020 Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus Dialog Box

You could aslo save an Action that does it and include the Save command with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As he wrote he has to flatten that means he did indeed add layers and if save is used Photoshop will switch to "Sace As".  There is no need to flatten "Save As..." can save a flat jpeg file from a layerd document.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I didn't add any layers at all. I think this just might be an issue with the PC or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not add a layer Flatten would not be and option for there would be not layers to flatten.  The flatten command would no be available for use. however, the save command will be and it will work. Cropping and not removing the Cropped ares will have layer area outside the canvas area. Background layer do not support that they are canvas size.  Jpeg File format does not support that transparency. So Photoshop  Save would not be available, Photoshop will switch to Save As.... When you crop you need to check delete cropped pixels.  You changed the background layer to a layer that is not supprted by Jpef file format.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added the video take a look please let me know what you think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed it and thanks for all your imput sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

in really simple terms Jpeg format does not support any layers - so the file has to be flattened to save if it contains any layers. When you crop a layer outside trhe crop area can be created 

neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true.

In the past, I've been able to have a psd file open, click Save As and was able to save as a jpg and PS would flatten it automatically. Now, I have to flatten it first, or click Save a Copy.

I think it's a case of they fixed something that wasn't broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines