• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattened file retains large file size

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've flattened a number of PSD files and the file size isn't reducing properly. Although the size shows 2.15M in the Doc field on the open document, when I check the Explore folder for the files they are listed at approximately 16MB. The PSD files only shows background as a layer. No other layers are showing. Any ideas? I've closed/open PhotoShop. Haven't restarted my system but will in hopes that solves the issue. In the meantime, any one have ideas? 

Thanks! Juli

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alpha channels, metadata, composite layer (compatibility mode)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry r-bin, I'm not a professional so I don't understand the shorthand version. Where do I find that information on my PSD files? Googled composite layer which turns out that may be very helpful: I'm trying to make the PSD files small enough that I can post online for other geographical locations to translate for their countries. Composite layer may be a good option instead of flattening--which is what I'm having file size problems with. Any insight is appreciate, r-bin. I'm only 30 feet below the surface of Photoshop. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16MB is nothing.  And I prefer not to flatten PSDs if at all possible. It's important to keep original work files with layers intact in case you ever need to edit again.

How many total pixels (height x width) is your image?

When you go to File > Export > Export As and save as JPG, what is the output file size that's showing in the left side panel?  See my screenshot.

File > Export > Export As > JPGFile > Export > Export As > JPG

When you need a smaller file size to save bandwidth online, use the ExportAs option and save as JPG.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest that you keep your working PSD files layered. If you need a PSD copy, then flatten the copy.

As for excessive file size, this may or may not be due to document ancestor metadata.

Metadata Bloat – photoshop:DocumentAncestors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your "Large" flat file.
In the layers palette, right-click on the Background layer.
Select "Duplicate layer ...".
In the dialog box, select Document -> New.

Flatten the new document and save next to the old one.
Compare the sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helped me with my problem, but it didn't show what caused the problem or how to fix it without a workaround. Went form 11 MB before to 700 kb after. No idea what was causing the larger files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines