Highlighted

Flattened JPG Color Shift

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving out logo file format variations for a client and noticing color values are slightly off in JPGs, PNG are fine. This is problematic because the color values are established in the brand guide.

• Pshop settings set to North American General Purpose 2. sRGB is the space.
  • I am not using a custom monitor profile, it is set to sRGB.
  • JPGs are saved in sRGB profile or embedded with it.
  • When the JPG is opened some color values match the PSD colors perfectly, others are off.

What am I missing? Thanks.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Flattened JPG Color Shift

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving out logo file format variations for a client and noticing color values are slightly off in JPGs, PNG are fine. This is problematic because the color values are established in the brand guide.

• Pshop settings set to North American General Purpose 2. sRGB is the space.
  • I am not using a custom monitor profile, it is set to sRGB.
  • JPGs are saved in sRGB profile or embedded with it.
  • When the JPG is opened some color values match the PSD colors perfectly, others are off.

What am I missing? Thanks.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What am I missing?"

The jpeg compression algorithm. The color component is much more aggressively compressed than the luminance component. Small changes in the numbers are common and expected.

If you need absolutely accurate numbers, don't use jpeg.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I can't understand is if I go over to a Mac and save the same one color document as both PSD and JPG and re-open them and sample, it shows the same color value. If I do the same procedure on PC the values are slightly off between the two files.

Adobe wants me to delete ALL my Adobe programs and install everything again. I did that with my Photoshops and it made no difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you have different compression settings. This works the same way regardless of operating system. It's only a matter of degree with the compression setting, but even maximum quality will degrade the file some. Do not use jpeg if you need to preserve full data integrity.

There is no point in reinstalling. That won't change anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0