Highlighted

Flick panning frequently freezes working document forcing me to close the file and reopen it.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a problem for a while, where I have a few PSD files open and the one I'm working on will 'freeze'. I can't interact with it in any way - even changing the tool I'm using (ex. brush to wand) won't change the cursor while it's over the document. Thankfully I can save the file and reopen it. Strangely it only affects one file at a time - the other files that are open can still be worked on. It might be worth noting that I usually work in a 2-up horizontal layout with images side by side.

Finally, today I discovered that it seems to be related to flick panning. I disabled it and haven't had the problem since. It's a terrible fix though, given that non-flick panning was slow when it worked well, and has become even worse in the latest version where you must wait for the image to catch up after panning.

Has anyone else experience this and possibly found a fix?

Correct answer by nd68901851 | Community Beginner

I just wanted to comment here since there's no solution posted in this thread. The changes gener7 mentioned, Drawing mode and Legacy Compositing, did not work for me.

I'm using a Wacom tablet (all drivers, windows updates, etc. up to date) and ran into this issue. What finally worked for me is disabling Windows Ink (which has been a source of a lot of Photoshop bugs since 2018). It requires a couple steps but if you google "UseSystemStylus 0" you'll see how to do it. Or this youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

(Edit: or see below)

If any Photoshop devs are reading this, if you want to reproduce the issue:

1. Use a tablet that uses Windows Ink

2. Make a new document

3. Zoom in (so that you can flick pan)

4. Activate the hand tool (H)

5. Rapidly swipe back and forth with the stylus (making it rapidly flick-pan left and right). It will almost always freeze after about 5 or so flicks. 

For me it does NOT freeze when flick panning with a mouse, only with a stylus.

Edit: It's actually only a few steps for disabling Windows Ink so here they are:

1. Open notepad

2. Write a single line that says: UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as: C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\PSUserConfig.txt

4. Disable Windows Ink in your tablet settings. For Wacom it's under "Mapping" or "Calibrate".

5. Close and re-open photoshop and it should (hopefully!) work now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Flick panning frequently freezes working document forcing me to close the file and reopen it.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a problem for a while, where I have a few PSD files open and the one I'm working on will 'freeze'. I can't interact with it in any way - even changing the tool I'm using (ex. brush to wand) won't change the cursor while it's over the document. Thankfully I can save the file and reopen it. Strangely it only affects one file at a time - the other files that are open can still be worked on. It might be worth noting that I usually work in a 2-up horizontal layout with images side by side.

Finally, today I discovered that it seems to be related to flick panning. I disabled it and haven't had the problem since. It's a terrible fix though, given that non-flick panning was slow when it worked well, and has become even worse in the latest version where you must wait for the image to catch up after panning.

Has anyone else experience this and possibly found a fix?

Correct answer by nd68901851 | Community Beginner

I just wanted to comment here since there's no solution posted in this thread. The changes gener7 mentioned, Drawing mode and Legacy Compositing, did not work for me.

I'm using a Wacom tablet (all drivers, windows updates, etc. up to date) and ran into this issue. What finally worked for me is disabling Windows Ink (which has been a source of a lot of Photoshop bugs since 2018). It requires a couple steps but if you google "UseSystemStylus 0" you'll see how to do it. Or this youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

2. Make a new document

5. Rapidly swipe back and forth with the stylus (making it rapidly flick-pan left and right). It will almost always freeze after about 5 or so flicks. 

Edit: It's actually only a few steps for disabling Windows Ink so here they are:

1. Open notepad

3. Save the file as: C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\PSUserConfig.txt

4. Disable Windows Ink in your tablet settings. For Wacom it's under "Mapping" or "Calibrate".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has driven me crazy the last couple weeks also. Every couple minutes I have to save the file and reopen it. It only occurs when I'm flick panning, a feature I didn't realize I could turn off. Giving that a go so thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up and gone back to v 20.0.8. I trieid earlier versions of 21.x but they all have different bugs (ex. tool presets vanishing every time you restart PS). So far I have about 30 hours of work done with 20.0.8 and flick panning hasn't been a problem. Hopefully they get a fix for the latest version, but I've heard so little about it I'm not sure if it's even on their radar.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, or my image gets stuck in the right bottom corner somehow. I'm on windows, PS 21.1.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue for the last couple of months already... already made a different post about it but still no fix.

This really slows down the workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try Edit > Preferences > Performance and check on Legacy Compositing as well as tamping down the Drawing Mode of your GPU under Advanced Settings.PS 2020 Performance.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Make a new document

1. Open notepad

Is your Wacom tablet scrolling instead of drawing in Photoshop after updating Windows? This video will walk you through the steps to disable Windows Ink and ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines