• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts don't look right

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts in Photoshop cc 2014 don't look like they do on the web or in FontViewer.  In the example below, Font 'A' is what the font looks like online and in my local FontViewer program.  Font 'B' is what it looks like in Photoshop.  Notice the apostrophe.  In font 'A' the apostrophe is a straight verticle line (more or less).  However, whenthe font is used in Photoshop, the apostrophe is curved or hooked shape.  Can anyone explain this?  Every single font that I expect to have the straight verticle apostrophe displays a curved or hooked one instead.  This happens for every font; not just one or two.  And yes, I have tried turning Ordinals off/On.

steved63883344_0-1619637109219.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Hi @steved63883344 

The straight quotes are called "primes" and are used with inches and feet. Photoshop is an image editor with limited text functions. Curly quotes are proper with text.

This is in InDesign and you can see it works well. The primes have keyboard shortcuts.

jane-e_2-1619641163285.png

Photoshop does not have a similar menu. Here is the Glyphs panel for Adobe Caslon Pro. It appears to have the primes, but when I tested, they convert to quotes.

jane-e_1-1619640879745.png

Looking further, I found that you can type primes in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @steved63883344 

The straight quotes are called "primes" and are used with inches and feet. Photoshop is an image editor with limited text functions. Curly quotes are proper with text.

This is in InDesign and you can see it works well. The primes have keyboard shortcuts.

jane-e_2-1619641163285.png

Photoshop does not have a similar menu. Here is the Glyphs panel for Adobe Caslon Pro. It appears to have the primes, but when I tested, they convert to quotes.

jane-e_1-1619640879745.png

Looking further, I found that you can type primes in Photoshop if you go to Preferences > Type  and uncheck "Use Smart Quotes".

jane-e_3-1619641595375.png

This page from Creative Pro explains quotes and primes:

https://creativepro.com/the-definitive-guide-to-quotes-apostrophes-and-primes/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane!  Unchecking the Smart Quotes did the trick.  Thank you so much for digging up the answer and replying to my question.  I appreciate your efforts.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @steved63883344, I'm glad it's working for you now. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines